Enjoy this easy black eyed peas recipe with your family and bring good luck for the new year!
Did you know Black Eyed Peas bring good luck if eaten to celebrate the new year? I hear conflicting tales about whether it's New Year's Eve or New Year's Day, but I'm thinking it doesn't matter, we can just have it both days! Hah. But really, with this Bacon & Mushroom Black Eyed Peas Recipe, you won't mind at all. I could have it every week and never get tired. So yummy.
We don't really do much to celebrate NYE, and generally I'm the only one awake after midnight (usually working - BOO), but it is fun to have a few traditions in place like sparkling cider with dinner and setting off some small fireworks in the driveway. When it's nice out we like to light a fire in the backyard too, but I'm not making any cool whether bets this year. We're still hitting 88 in the afternoons. Do you have any end of the year traditions? I'd love to hear them!
ORIGINAL TEXT 1/2012: I made this delicious Black Eyed Peas recipe for New Year's because they say it's good luck to eat Black Eyed Peas on New Years. And who am I to turn down luck?! I'm warning you though, these are so tasty that I ate nearly the whole pot myself. Mmmm...
Simple Savory Black Eyed Peas Ingredients:
- 2 cups prepared black eyed peas (I used presoaked and then boiled them for about ten minutes first, alternately you could soak and prep your own or use canned)
- 2 strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 can of mushrooms, drained, 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup beef broth
Simple Savory Black Eyed Peas Directions:
- Fry bacon until nearly crispy. Add onion and cook until onion is translucent and bacon is crispy.
- Stir in mushrooms and garlic and cook for about another two minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Pour in beans and stir until ingredients are well mixed. Continue cooking until beans are heated through.
Shop for items used or inspired by this recipe!
- "Happy New Year" bunting banner
- POP FIZZ CLINK champagne bag
- Stainless steel champagne flutes
- Martinelli's Gold Medal Sparkling Cider