Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Ingredients:
- Dried split peas, 16 ounces
- 6-8 cups chicken stock or broth (enough to cover ham hocks) (click here to learn how to make your own chicken stock)
- 2 smoked ham hocks (not smoked would also work, but smoked is so much better)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I use jarred)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- optional garnish: diced ham
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Directions:
- Add ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove ham hocks and mash soup with a fork or blend with an immersion blender, depending on your consistency preference. (I like mine smoooooth).
- Optional step: brown diced ham in a skillet and serve on soup.