Chili is basically my best friend. So, when I realized my stand-by chili recipe was no bueno on the paleo diet I started concocting plans for a Brand! New! Recipe! It took a while of tweaking, but I'm pretty much super in love with this bean free chili. It's my new favorite food and my husband (who does NOT follow the paleo diet) declared it even better than the old chili!
As always, this makes a mega batch. I have 5 kids, we do things in bulk around here. It will freeze for up to a year though, so go ahead and make a giant pot.
The Ultimate Bean Free Chili, Ingredients:
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 4 pounds mild pork sausage, ground (you can usually find this in 1lb tubes near the bacon)
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, rough chopped
- 2 cans Rotel, mild (28 ounces)
- 2 cans tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 12 green bell peppers (seriously)
- 1 large celery bunch
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder (I'm partial to Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, not drained (28 ounces)
- 3 cups julienned carrots
- 4 packages McCormick Mild Chili Seasoning (1.25 ounce packages)
The Ultimate Bean Free Chili, Directions:
- Brown ground beef and pork sausage, drain and set aside.
- Fry bacon in a pan, when bacon is nearly crisp add onions and saute until translucent. Add carrots and continue to cook until softened.
- In a large stock pot combine all ingredients.
- Cook on low all day, or at least 4 hours.