This 'Surviving Crazy Mornings with Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches and Coffee for Everyone!' article was developed for Collective Bias and Keurig 2.0 (available at Walmart). Mama Loves Food has been compensated for the associated time and work. All variety of opinions and recipes are mine alone. #Keurig400 #CollectiveBias
My oldest son was 6 years old when my fifth child was born (he's 8 now). My husband and I run our own businesses, and I homeschool our three "big" kids while juggling the little ones. To say our mornings are crazy would maybe be an understatement. Our mornings are other-worldly.
And while I wouldn't have it any other way (okay, maybe if someone wanted to throw a nanny in the mix, I wouldn't complain), we have definitely adopted some shortcuts to make things run a little smoother. To that end, I firmly believe the Keurig is one of the best inventions ever invented by inventors, ever.
If you've been following me a while you'll recall that I *begged* the husband for a Keurig over the course of several holidays when they first became popular. After much exaggerated (and exasperated!) hint dropping, my dreams finally came true. Over the past four years, my Keurig Elite has brewed like a champ every. single. morning. My only issue, ever, was that I've had to hold on to my old coffee maker for when we entertain (which we do a LOT), and I wanted to make more than a single cup at a time.
So, you can imagine my glee when the opportunity to work with Keurig and talk about the Keurig 2.0 came along. Pure glee, people. GLEE.
The Keurig 2.0 still takes the regular K-Cup packs, but also accepts larger K-Carafe packs, allowing you to brew either a single cup, OR a four cup carafe of coffee. It's like Keurig flew into my brain and read my mind with this one. Also, the new Keurig 2.0, available at Walmart, features Keurig 2.0 Brewing Technology™, which reads each lid to deliver a perfect beverage every time. Which is saying a lot since Keurig offers 400 beverage varieties from 60 brands.
I use my Keurig to make a single cup of decaf for myself every morning, and hot chocolate or cider for the kids if they want it. When my brother-in-law is in town, he helps himself to the dark roast - and my mother-in-law is a half-caf kind of gal. I'm thrilled that the Keurig 2.0 lets me choose the size of my coffee, as well as the strength. AND I'm finally able to ditch my old coffee pot that's taking up valuable pantry space!
But the Keurig's not the only way to streamline your mornings. We also like to do make-ahead breakfasts! These are so easy and incredibly versatile. Making for a vegetarian? Skip the meat and add peppers to your eggs. Making for a grain-free eater? Sub the bread for Sweet Potato Rounds. There's just no limit to the variations! You can stash these guys in the fridge all week, or make enough for a month (or two!) and keep them in the deep freeze. Heat up in the microwave or toaster oven, grab your coffee, and off you go!
Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwich, Ingredients:
(everything is optional!)
- buns (I used english muffins in my example, but you could use bagels, sweet potato rounds, or even tortillas!)
- cheese (I used American, but pick your favorite!)
- eggs (I generally use one egg per sandwich)
- bacon (I generally use 1/2 piece per sandwich)
- sausage (I used pre-cooked from the freezer section)
Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwich, Directions:
- Lay your bacon pieces in a baking pan and place in a cold oven, set to 375 degrees.
- While the oven is coming to temperature, give your eggs a whir in the blender (I added some whole milk to mine too), and pour them into a parchment lined baking pan.
- Put the eggs in with the bacon and cook for 7 - 10 minutes, or until done to your liking. Remove from the oven and slice with a knife (or pizza cutter!)
- When the bacon is done (about 30 minutes for super crispy), assemble your sandwiches and wrap in tin foil.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a few months. Reheat in the microwave (without foil) or toaster oven.
- And, ENJOY!
The Keurig 2.0 would make the perfect holiday present for a coffee lover in your life, and I'm so lucky to be able to gift one to my friend Jessica, The Unemployed Mom. She's been such an inspiration to me this past year and was super encouraging when I told her I wanted to grow my blog. She even took me to a blogging event at Disney! She doesn't know it's coming yet, so feel free to hop over and say "hi" but don't spoil my surprise!
You can find Keurig on twitter here: @Keurig
And Facebook here: Keurig