The saying goes, "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission," or something thereabouts. So, here I am humbly begging my Korean friends to forgive me for butchering their sacred national dish. Okay, I'm not really sure about the whole national dish part, and I'm pretty sure it's not actually sacred - but I didn't ask permission to Americanize it, and I hope they can find it in their hearts to love me anyway. Because holy moly, this Simple Kimchi Stew was very very (VERY) tasty.
Think chicken noodle soup but with cabbage instead of noodles, and so so (SO) much more depth of flavor. I know, you're going to tell me I'm just not doing chicken soup right. WRONG. I love a good chicken soup, but this is on a whole other level. It's chicken soup elevated. Hah. But really, it's delicious. And crazy easy to make despite the fancy Korean name.
Kimchi Stew Jjigae, Ingredients:
- 1 - 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups kimchi (about a 16 ounce jar, it will expand when unpacked) - check your local Korean restaurant/market or the refrigerated section at your grocery store. Or order it here. If you choose a mild spice kimchi (which does have some heat if eaten on its own), your soup will not be spicy at all, just full of flavor.
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 a rotisserie chicken (or 2 cooked chicken breasts), shredded
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken stock or broth (here's how to make your own)
Kimchi Stew Jjigae, Directions:
- In a large pot (I used my beloved cast iron pot) melt the butter on medium/low heat (the butter adds a lot of flavor, don't skip the butter, PLEASE).
- When the butter is simmering, add the kimchi and saute for a few minutes. Add soy sauce and chicken and stir a few minutes until everything's mixed well and heated through.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a light simmer.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Shop for items used or inspired by this recipe:
- Spicy Kimchi (if you can't find or make it locally)
- Kirkland Signature Organic Chicken Stock
- Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned 3 Quart Cast Iron Pot
- Giant Soup Bowls
- Fancy Chopsticks
- Porcelain Asian Soup Spoons
- Korean Style Cooking Apron