This Afternoon Snacks for Busy Busy Days article was developed for Collective Bias and advertiser. Mama Loves Food has been compensated for time and work. Opinions and recipes are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #FueledForSchool
Raise your hand if your afternoons are a blur of schoolwork, sports practice, dinner, baths, and bedtime. [raises hand] Raise your hand if you spend more hours in the car than at home some days. [raises hand] Raise your hand if it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when everyone's running late for practice (because, aren't we always running late?) and one of the kids starts whining that they're hungry. [shuffles feet, reluctantly raises hand]
Seriously, the only thing worse than wrestling soccer socks onto a six year old is forgetting after school snacks. Amiright? (I think I'm right). But never fear! I'm here with a solution to the snackless angst!
We've started keeping bags of snacks in the car at all times, so I don't have to worried about getting stuck up whiny river without a canoe (I tried some imagery there. Not sure it worked.). My theory is if I have a little bit of everything from our pantry (well, the dry stuff that doesn't spoil), then I can keep the kids happy (or at least less miserable). It's trail mix-ish, and not really a recipe at all, but I'll give you some guidance as to what I generally keep in the bag. And when I say "in the bag" I mean, I keep a gallon freezer bag of this in my car at all times! Just make sure you *always* seal it when finished. Whiny hungry kids are nothing compared to ant covered, crying, whiny, hungry kids!
Snack Grab Bag, Ingredients:
- Cereal (I included Frosted Mini Wheats and Froot Loops in this bag)
- Dried fruit (we went with bananas and cherries)
- Granola clusters
Snack Grab Bag, Directions:
- Put ingredients in sealable bags or containers. Give it a good shake to mix well.
- I like to keep everything in one large gallon freezer bag and then keep smaller jars or cups (love me some mini mason jars!) on hand to pass out the snacks, but this is totally a matter of preference. I know some folks who divide theirs ahead of time into smaller sandwich bags so it's less fuss.
- Enjoy the blissful quiet as your kids munch away happily.
I grabbed the Froot Loops and Mini Wheats on a quick Target run (oh, who are we kidding, there's no such thing as a quick Target run - I ended up in housewares looking at decorative bowls for 45 minutes). Be sure to check out Kellogg's Back to School packaging and great on-pack offers in store at Target! Also, the weekly deal at Target from 9/13-9/19, is purchase five select Nutri-grain, Special K, Pop-Tart, and Kellogg's cereal products and receive a $5 Target gift card!