Creamy mashed potatoes are something I love dearly. Many many moons ago when I was in law school a group of us stuck around for the Thanksgiving holiday and decided we would do our own big dinner. I happily volunteered to make mashed potatoes. Only problem was I didn’t know how to cook. But I figured I was a smarty pants and could figure it out.
Too bad I didn’t have the good sense to consult a cookbook, and what resulted was a pot of gluey undercooked, over mashed, sad sad potatoes. Needless to say, I never tried again. Seriously, we’ve been using powdered ‘just add water’ mixes since then. (I know. Dreadful.)
Until now. Today it was finally time for a do-over! So, I dabbled around the kitchen all morning and into the afternoon until I came up with this deliciously delicious Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I think this recipe is as good as my first one was bad. And that’s saying something.
originally published 06.15.12
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potato Ingredients:
- 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken stock or broth (not unsalted/low sodium)
- 4 medium/large Russet potatoes, scrubbed (not peeled) & diced into large cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 stick salted butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 – 1 cup heavy cream
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potato Directions:
- Bring chicken stock to a boil and add cubed potatoes and garlic. Turn down heat and cook at a low boil for about 15 – 20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through (soft, but not crumbly).
- Drain stock and return potatoes and garlic to the hot pot on the stove (with the stove-top turned off).
- In a saucepan combine butter, cream cheese, and 1/2 cup heavy cream. Heat on low until butter is melted and cream cheese is very soft. Pour into pot with potatoes.
- Mash potatoes until you reach desired consistency. Add additional cream if necessary.
Shop for items used or inspired by this post!
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Cookware Set
- Butcher’s Block Cutting Board
- Stainless Steel 5-Piece Flatware Serving Set
- OXO Good Grips Smooth Potato Masher
- Wooden Spoon Set
- “They See Me Rollin'” Tea Towel