Cranberry sauce is that sweet and tangy topping no holiday is complete without! Our homemade sauce is easy to make and the perfect addition to your dinner.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1 orange or ¼ cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- zest of one orange about 2 Tbs
- 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
- 1/2 granny smith apple peeled and grated (about ½ cup)
In a medium sized sauce pan, combine brown sugar, honey, water, and orange juice. Bring mixture to a boil.
Once boiling, add in salt, cinnamon, orange zest, fresh cranberries, and grated apple. Turn stove down to medium heat and cook mixture for 5 minutes. You will hear frequent popping from the cranberries.
Turn the heat to medium low and cook mixture until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Take cranberry mixture off heat.
Mash mixture with a wood spoon or potato masher until it reaches a desired consistency.
Cool and serve.
Calories are automatically generated. For best results calculate based on your exact ingredients.
- Depending on how tart you like your cranberry sauce, you can switch up the type of apple to include. For a more sweet sauce, include a gala or opal apple. For a more tart flavor, add in a granny smith apple
- You can use orange juice from concentrate, but fresh orange juice tastes best in this recipe.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 440kcal