I have to confess that this Garlic and Blue Cheese Roasted Acorn Squash was my very first acorn squash experience. I've eyed them at the market eleventy bajillion times, but just never really knew what to do with one. I finally took the plunge and grabbed one on my way through produce last week. And then I let it sit on my counter challenging me for several days. It's steely stare finally bore through my foodie soul last night, and I had my way with that squash. Boy did I ever.
Garlic and Blue Cheese Roasted Acorn Squash, Ingredients:
- Acorn squash, cut in half with seeds scooped out
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter PER half acorn
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, PER half acorn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, PER half acorn
- salt, to taste
- optional: cooked, crumbled bacon
Garlic and Blue Cheese Roasted Acorn Squash, Directions:
- Put acorns in a deep broiler-safe dish, cavity side up.
- Place butter and garlic in the cavity of each acorn, and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Pour about 1/2 inch of water into the bottom of the pan.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and bake at 425 degrees for about 50 minutes, until acorn flesh is soft.
- Remove foil and put blue cheese in the cavity of each acorn. Broil on the top rack for 2 - 3 minutes until acorns and cheese are slightly browned.
- Garnish with bacon and serve with a spoon. Enjoy!