Peanut Butter Cookies are a special treat in our house. This peanut butter cookie recipe only uses three ingredients that you definitely already have in your pantry!
If you love peanut butter cookies, then you’re in for a real treat. Our peanut butter cookie recipe is three ingredients that most folks keep on hand all the time.
Peanut Butter Cookie Ingredients
- Peanut butter – I (strongly) prefer chunky peanut butter for our cookies, but both smooth and chunky will work in this peanut butter cookie recipe.
- Sugar – Regular white sugar is all you’ll need. Nothing fancy, just delicious!
- Egg – The egg will work as a binding agent and also give it some rise.
Why do you make fork marks on peanut butter cookies?
Peanut butter cookies tend to be dense. By making the fork marks and flattening the cookies in the middle, it allows them to cook more evenly. Also, it’s a great place for that extra sprinkle of sugar to collect.
How do you know if peanut butter cookies are done?
You can tell that peanut butter cookies are done when the tops are lightly brown and the cookies have spread out a bit and puffed up. Don’t wait for the cookies to harden in the oven, they will do that as they cool.
When was the first peanut butter cookie made?
The Aztecs invented peanut butter in the 14th century, but peanut butter cookies didn’t become an American favorite until the early 1900s.
Early peanut butter cookies were rolled thin and cut into shapes. They were also dropped and made into balls. They did not have fork marks. The first reference to the famous criss-cross marks created with fork tines was published in the Schenectady Gazette on July 1, 1932. Source
Are peanut butter cookies supposed to be soft out of the oven?
Peanut butter cookies should be soft when they are removed from the oven. They will harden up some as they cool. If you wait until the cookies are hard before removing them from the oven, they will be too hard to enjoy when cooled.
Remember that the smaller you make your cookies, the shorter the cook time will be.
Are peanut butter cookies gluten free?
This recipe for peanut butter cookies is gluten free. They are are completely flourless and made with only three simple ingredients: peanut butter, sugar, and eggs.
You can use regular or crunchy peanut butter to make them (I’m partial to crunchy!).
Recipes like Peanut Butter Cookies
Tools for Making Peanut Butter Cookies
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything. Cookies? Yes! Steak? Yes! Cake? Oh yeh! Roasted veggies? Uhhhh huh!
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?! Perfect for baking sugary cookies, or cheesy croissants. You know why? Because nothing sticks to these!!!
- Cookie stamps – I don’t make a whole lot of cookies, but when I do, we love to pull out our cookie stamps! If you’re making shortbread style cookies that don’t spread, you can stamp them beforehand. If you’re making more traditional cookies, stamp them as soon as they come out of the oven while they’re still soft and hot!
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- Mix ingredients thoroughly until a dough has formed.
- Roll into balls and place cookies on baking sheet (or drop from spoon)
- Print criss-crosses with a fork (I dipped my fork in flour to keep stickage at a minimum).
- Bake 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees and then sprinkle with sugar as soon as you take them out of the oven (so it sticks!).