Colorful Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened (very softened) butter
- 1 egg
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine flour baking powder and salt, mixing well.
2. Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl and mix well (you can use an electric mixer if you wish). Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Add flour mixture. Mix well.
4. Divide dough into four equal parts (or however many colors you want). Add several drops of food coloring to each divided section. Knead until color is throughout. (this will initially dye your hands, but as you knead, the coloring will go back to the dough – wear gloves or use an electric mixer if this stresses you out).
5. Shape each color into a log and then combine colors to make one large log. Wrap log in saran wrap (to keep from sticking to counter) and roll together (like a snake) until it is the desired cookie cutting diameter (keep in mind, cookies will grow in the oven!).***
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Slice cookie log (1/4″ – 1/2″ slices)**** and place slices on lightly greased cookie sheet.
WARNING: This is not a super sweet sugar cookie. Super yummy? YES. Super sweet? NO. It’s the perfect coffee dunking cookie, in my opinion!
Recipe inspired by the Publix sugar cookie recipe located on the back of the Publix sugar bags.
If you slice 1/4″ thick, recipe yields about 4 dozen cookies; 1/2″ yields 2 dozen.