I discovered the Pioneer Woman’s Crash Hot Potatoes a couple years ago and have been saying I’m going to make them ever since then. So, this weekend when we had a Halloween Birthday Party for my baby with thirty of our closest friends, it seemed like the perfect opportunity. Except… I kind of felt like they needed more oompf.
Enter: butter, cheese and bacon.
– Small round potatoes (I used the red kind)
– Bacon, cooked & crumbled
– Shredded cheese
– Boil the potatoes for about 45 minutes, until fork tender. (You can do this ahead of time. I did it a couple days before the party and then kept the potatoes in a large tupperware in the fridge.)
– Allow potatoes to cool in the water (so they won’t dry out).
– Spread the potatoes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or greased), with room inbetween for them to spread when you smash. I suggest using a cookie sheet with sides (or the bottom of your broiling pan) so the cheesy goodness doesn’t ooze onto the bottom of your oven.
– Smash each potato (a potato masher works best, but you could also use a tenderizer, glass, or even your fist).
– Top each potato with a small pat of butter, a sprinkling of crumbled bacon and a smattering of shredded cheese.
– Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.