This Chili-Lime Steelhead Trout Recipe with roasted chayotes, red onions, and mojo de ajo is the perfect delicious and healthy dinner idea for your next stay at home date night. This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Home Chef All opinions are 100% mine. #realhomechef
From Home Chef:
“Many home cooks might encounter new ingredients with this meal, and they’ll be darn glad they did. First up is steelhead trout, a unique species of trout in the same family as salmon, which lends it its vibrant pink hue. Its flaky texture and mild flavor make it perfect for cooking quickly in a hot pan and seasoning with a sweet, herbaceous mojito lime rub. Chayote squash is another new ingredient. Similar in flavor and texture to zucchini, it’s an ideal pair for the bold, healthy flavors of this dish.”
Chili-Lime Steelhead Trout, Ingredients:
- 2 Chayotes
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Lime
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 4 Cilantro Sprigs
- 1 Tbsp. McCormick Mojito Lime Seasoning
- 2 Steelhead Trout Fillets
- 1 oz. Crumbled Cotija Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Cooking Spray
Chili-Lime Steelhead Trout, Directions:
- Peel chayotes, trim ends, and halve lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out seeds. Cut across width into ½” slices. Halve and peel onion. Cut into ¼” slices. Zest lime, halve, and juice. Mince garlic. Stem and coarsely chop cilantro. Stir together seasoning blend and 1 Tbsp. water in a small bowl. Rinse trout fillets, pat dry, and season both sides with ¼ tsp. salt.
- Place chayotes and red onion on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Toss to coat, spread into a single layer, and roast 22-25 minutes, or until chayotes are lightly browned and tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle with half the cilantro (reserve remaining for garnish). White vegetables roast, start mojo de ajo in next step.
- Combine 2 Tbsp. lime juice, 2 tsp. lime zest, garlic, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper in a small bowl. Whisk together and set aside to let flavors marry.
- Place a medium oven-safe non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp. olive oil and trout fillets, skin side up, to hot pan. Cook 2-3 minutes on one side, or until lightly browned. Flip, and spread mojito lime rub evenly over fish. Place pan in oven and roast 4-6 minutes, or until trout is firm and reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees. Remove from oven and let rest 2 minutes.
- Place roasted vegetables on plate, drizzle with mojo de ajo sauce, and garnish with cotija cheese. Place trout on plate and garnish with remaining cilantro.