Spinach dip is the perfect no-guilt appetizer. Delicious and full of healthy vegetables!
Spinach Dip is an appetizer classic! This easy dip recipe is teaming with flavor and chock full of healthy vegetables. Take a few minutes to learn how to make spinach dip, then serve with our homemade beer bread, or cracker recipe! Once you’ve conquered this one, be sure to try out our buffalo chicken dip!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Spinach Dip, Ingredients
- Mayonnaise – I use a mayo made with olive oil, but any mayonnaise will do.
- Vegetable Recipe Mix – Mix packets like this are the ultimate time hack. No measuring of specific ingredients, just quick and easy yumminess! (We like the Knorr brand, typically found near the onion soup mix, but use whatever brand you prefer!).
- Spinach – We use frozen chopped spinach for this recipe. Make sure it’s well chopped! You may need to cut it up a bit more even if you purchase a package that says chopped on it.
- Sour Cream – You could substitute some low fat plain yogurt if you are watching fat intake.
- Red Onion – Onion adds that little punch that brings the dip to the next level!
- Red Bell Pepper – Chop this finely and it adds a pretty pop of color and flavor to the dip.
- Celery – You know you can’t beat the crunch of celery! When your bites are small, that texture adds to the appeal.
- Water Chestnuts – A surprising ingredient that, again, adds taste and texture. Water chestnuts are great because they always stay crispy.
How do you make Spinach Dip?
⭐ First, prep your spinach by squeezing out all the water.
⭐ Then, chop your veggies!
⭐ Next, combine all the ingredients well and chill in fridge.
⭐ Finally, serve cold for dipping veggies, crackers, or bread.
It’s nice to have something that you can whip together quickly for last minute guests. Some spinach in the freezer, some vegetable mix in the cupboard, and some vegetables in the fridge drawer, and you’re all set!
How long will homemade spinach dip last?
Your dip should last 3-4 days in the refrigerator; it’s important that you keep it chilled at all times.
How long can spinach dip sit out?
Spinach dip can sit out for no more than two hours at room temperature. You could nestle it in a bowl of ice to keep it chilled if you need it out for a longer period of time.
Can you make spinach dip ahead of time?
You can make the dip ahead of time. Just remember that it will last about 3 days in the refrigerator so don’t be too proactive!
Leftovers and storage
Can I freeze spinach dip?
You should not freeze spinach dip. Freezing is not recommended, as the mayo and sour cream may separate and leave you with a watery, grainy dip.
Can I use fresh spinach in spinach dip?
You can use fresh spinach in a this dip! It requires a bit more work, but is delicious as well. Cook the fresh spinach for 3-4 minutes in a little olive oil until it’s cooked down, then drain and squeeze out extra water and use in place of frozen.
Can you serve spinach dip hot?
You can serve spinach dip hot. You can adjust the recipe by adding some Parmesan cheese into the dip and popping it in the oven.
What do you eat spinach dip with? (Serving Suggestions)
The best dips deserve the best to dip with! Here are a few links to get you started.
Is spinach dip healthy?
Spinach dip is not considered a healthy food by most people because of the high fat. You will probably only eat a few spoonfuls as an appetizer so it can fit into many diets. Be sure to fill it up with healthy chopped veggies as well!
Is spinach dip keto?
This recipe is keto in that it is high in fat and low carb. Keep in mind that you would want to spread your dip on vegies, not breads.
Is spinach dip gluten free?
Spinach dip is usually gluten free, but do check the vegetable mix you choose to be sure that it is gluten free. Like with keto diets, those who want a gluten free appetizer should choose to dip with vegetables, not breads (unless the breads or crackers are gluten free).
Is spinach dip low carb?
It is low carb, and the carbs in it are from vegetables which are high in fiber.
Is spinach dip vegan?
Spinach dip is not vegan because of the eggs in the mayo, and the dairy products. You could substitute vegan mayonnaise and non-dairy sour cream to change it to a vegan recipe.
More Dip Recipes
Having a party? You’ll need more than one dip! Try putting these on your appetizer table.
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on. And p.s. I have a lot of cutting boards. It really is absolutely stunning, and knows how to take a beating. We use it every single day!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to make Spinach Dip
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package vegetable recipe mix
- 1 package 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (make sure it's well chopped, mine wasn't and required a little extra hacking)
- 1 container 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 container 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
- Combine ingredients well and chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve cold with crackers, pita chips, cucumber slices, carrot chips, sweet pepper slices, or jicama slices! (And if you use jicama, email me to let me know how it goes!)
Click the button above to save this recipe!
This recipe was originally sponsored by Hellman’s Mayonnaise and O2O Network. All content and opinions belong to Mama Loves Food.
April this looks and sounds fantastic and (a little bit) on the healthier side since you have all those lovely veggies in it!
This looks so good, April. I love all of the veggies in it!
Sarah Averett says
This is going to go great with the soft pita chips I need to use up. Thank you for the recipe!!
Denay DeGuzman says
Next to hummus, spinach dip is right up there on my list of favorite appetizers. Your special recipe looks so darn scrumptious. I can hardly wait to try it!
Alysa Cohen says
The recipe says cream cheese, but isn’t it mayonnaise?
April Woods says
I’m not sure what you mean? The recipe says cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream.