I am obsessed with grits, you guys. OB. SESSED.
A few weeks ago we took a road trip and found ourselves in New Orleans neck deep in Mardi Gras. It was an absolute blast, but entirely a happy accident. I definitely did not intend on dragging five small children to catch beads on Bourbon Street! But it turns out that's exactly what we did, and it was great. And while we visited, of course we had to check out some of the local food haunts. One of my favorites being The Ruby Slipper, where I was served the most divine grits.
They were just plain breakfast grits that I doused in butter, but boy did they spark something in me! It seems like since then, I'm trying to sneak grits into every meal. And with this recipe they're landing squarely on the dinner table. If you like grits, you'll love these Savory Spinach and Mushroom Grits. If you don't like grits? You'll probably like these. Well, that's my hope, anyway!
Creamy, savory, and downright decadent. Throw some cooked chicken breast over top and you've got a full meal!
Savory Spinach and Mushroom Grits, Ingredients:
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup 5-minute grits (not instant)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Savory Spinach and Mushroom Grits, Directions:
- In a medium sized pot, bring chicken stock to a rolling boil.
- Slowly (no, seriously, take your time) pour in grits, stirring as you go.
- Cook 5 - 6 minutes on low (or off if you were using cast iron), stirring occasionally.
- Pour in heavy cream and stir well, continue to cook on low until grits reach your desired consistency.
- While grits are cooking - in a large frying pan, saute onion and garlic with butter on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and soy sauce, and cook until mushrooms have softened and there is little or no liquid remaining in the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook another 2 - 3 minutes, then fold in spinach and remove from heat (spinach will wilt/cook very quickly).
- Pour over grits and ENJOY!