This Baked Tortellini is an easy and delicious dinner idea for your family.
One of the things that I really enjoy as a food blogger is that it forces me to continually try new things and introduce different foods to my family.
We’re well acquainted with casseroles, of course, but I’ve never thought to use tortellini in one before!
We love casseroles because they’re so convenient. You can make them up ahead of time, refrigerate or freeze them, and have a delicious filling dinner ready when you want it in no time at all.
This Cheesy Tortellini & Pesto Chicken Casserole recipe was a huge hit with our family and one we will definitely be adding to the regular rotation.
I was worried my kids might be turned off by the green from the pesto, but not at all! They loved the creamy cheesiness from the ricotta paired with the herb flavor of the pesto and bright points of the roasted red pepper.
We used Barilla Collezione Tortellini (their three cheese tortellini) and then topped it with some mozzarella cheese, so it was a delicious out of this world cheese extravaganza! My husband even snuck into the dish and ate more for breakfast.
We used Barilla Collezione Tortellini and Barilla Traditional Pesto Sauce, both are available in a 2 pack at your local BJ’s location for a limited time. We love the tortellini because it provides variety, convenience, and options for delicious meal time with the family, entertaining or hosting a get together.
The pesto adds a fresh take on your favorite Italian meals and added versatility to any pasta dish since it is delicious served hot or cold!
Barilla’s Traditional Pesto Sauce is made with only the highest quality ingredients like sweet basil, aromatic herbs, and extra virgin olive oil. These simple ingredients are blended together to develop the rich taste and thick texture.
Barilla’s Three Cheese Tortellini is an artisanal pasta, all natural, and crafted using the highest quality ingredients.
More like Baked Tortellini
How to make Baked Tortellini
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini prepared (we used Barilla Collezione Tortellini)
- 6 ounces pesto sauce about 3/4 cup (we used Barilla Traditional Pesto Sauce)
- 1 large cooked chicken breast chopped, about 2 heaping cups
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper jarred/drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl combine tortellini, pesto, chicken, ricotta cheese, and roasted pepper. Mix well, being careful not to break the tortellini open.
- Pour into a casserole dish and press down evenly.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake at 425 degrees for about 7 - 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil and ENJOY!
- Roasted red peppers can be found jarred near the olives in your market.
- Cheese tortellini can often be found in the dried pasta section, frozen section, and even sometimes in the refrigerated section of your market. (Lots of options!).
- Pesto is typically found near the jarred spaghetti alfredo sauce.
This was originally a partnered effort with Mama Loves Food and Barilla. All content and opinions are my own.