This Blue Cheese Dressing is super creamy, super chunky, super delicious, and super easy to make!
I can’t believe it took me so long to make my own blue cheese dressing. Oh my goodness, you guys, this blue cheese dressing recipe is 100% amazingly delicious perfection. My mother-in-law and I keep sneaking spoonfuls out of the jar.
How do you make homemade blue cheese dressing?
Our homemade blue cheese dressing is made with crumbled blue cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and spices. As with any recipe, the end result is going to depend on what you put in it.
So go with a great quality blue cheese, and full fat mayonnaise and sour cream. You can make it with the fat free or low fat stuff, but you’ll get the best thick and creamy blue cheese dressing if you use really great whole fat ingredients.
Can I eat blue cheese salad dressing while pregnant?
According to Baby Center, soft, blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and roquefort, are not considered safe to eat in pregnancy. Hard, blue-veined cheeses, such as stilton, are less likely to contain listeria than soft, mould-ripened cheeses. In fact, the NHS says that stilton is safe to eat when you’re pregnant. ref
Whether to blue cheese dressing while pregnant is going to be a personal call. I ate it sparingly, and often heated it first (and then poured it over a good seared steak, yum), but not everyone is comfortable with the risk involved.
How long can you keep homemade blue cheese dressing?
You can keep homemade blue cheese dressing for as long as the individual ingredients are good. More specifically, take a look at the expiration dates of each of your ingredients, and find the one with the earliest date.
That’s the expiration date you’ll want write on the bottom of your jar. Make sure to use something that won’t wipe off, like a sharpie, or a sticker.
Is blue cheese always pasteurized?
Blue cheese is not always pasteurized. Pasteurization is a heating process that kills microbes, mainly bacteria, in food and drink.
If you want to use pasteurized blue cheese for our blue cheese dressing recipe, definitely make sure to read the blue cheese labels closely.
More Salad Dressings to Love
- Creamy Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing – Creamy apple cider vinaigrette salad dressing in four easy ingredients. I bet you have everything in your pantry right now!
- Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – This is the dressing that made me realize how easy it was to make homemade salad dressings and I’ll tell you, I haven’t bought a bottle of ranch dressing since.
- Balsamic Dijon Salad Dressing – This dressing also doubles as a marinade! Put it over your steak salad, or just put it over your steak!
- Citrus Salad Dressing – Bright and gorgeous made with fresh orange juice. Perfect for your summer salad!
- Bacon Maple Dijon Salad Dressing – Oh yes, this salad dressing has bacon drippings and maple syrup. And lest you think we’ve gone too extra, let me assure you it’s just right. Mmmmmm
Tools for making Blue Cheese Dressing
- OXO Good Grips Green Salad Spinner – I know this sounds like a silly tool, but you guys. Salad spinners are addicting. Once you see the volume of water that comes out of what you previously considered ‘dry’ lettuce, you’ll be hooked!
- Anchor Hocking Glass Cruet With Stopper – Because what’s the point of making your own salad dressing if you don’t have anywhere to put it?
- Lipper International Small Bamboo Bowls, Set of 4 – As someone who doesn’t gravitate toward eating salad, I like to do all the things possible to make sure my salad looks super appealing. And that includes awesome salad bowls.
- Lipper International Bamboo Salad Bowl – And what good is a salad bowl to eat out of if you don’t have a cute one to serve out of?
- Vremi Wooden Spoons Bamboo Utensils with Colorful Handles – See also: matching utensils. My Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing deserves only the best.
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese half reserved
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine everything EXCEPT ½ cup of blue cheese crumbles. Blend well with an immersion blender or upright blender.
- Stir in remaining blue cheese crumbles.