Chocolate cheesecake covered in rich ganache is dense dreamy chocolate bliss. And shockingly easy to make!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
📌 Decadent, decadent, decadent!
📌 The perfect way to impress friends, inlaws, or the love in your life.
📌 Surprisingly easy to make.
Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe Ingredients
- Oreo cookies – Crushed, or the crust.
- Butter – Melted; I prefer salted butter, but either will work.
- Cream cheese – Full fat cream cheese, NOT whipped cream cheese.
- Sweetened condensed milk – This is not the same as evaporated milk.
- Cocoa powder – We use dark cocoa powder for this recipe.
- Eggs – Large eggs, brought to room temperature.
- Optional – Ganache topping (heavy cream and semisweet chocolate chips)
How do you make a chocolate cheesecake from scratch? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, combine crushed oreo cookies and butter and press into the bottom of a springform pan.
⭐ Then, in a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffier and increased in volume slightly, add cocoa powder and continue beating until fully incorporated. Slowly pour in sweetened condensed milk while continuing to mix.
⭐ Next, reduce mixer speed to low and add eggs one at a time. Do not beat quickly as this will create air bubbles in the cheesecake mixture. Pour filling into springform pan and bake on center oven rack. Cool at room temperature before moving to the refrigerator.
⭐ Finally, when cheesecake fully chilled, top with ganache if desired. Continue chilling until ganache is set.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
How do you make ganache topping for chocolate cheesecake?
Bring 1¼ cups heavy cream to a light simmer (or microwave for about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and add a 12 ounce package of semisweet mini morsels to the hot cream. Whisk together until smooth (or use an immersion blender or handheld electric mixer).
Allow to cool to about room temperature before pouring over your cheesecake.
Can you make homemade chocolate cheesecake recipe ahead of time?
Yes, in fact, cheesecake is really best after being thoroughly chilled. I strongly suggest making it at least a day in advance. but at the very least you want it to cool completely before cutting and serving.
Is a water bath necessary for chocolate cheesecake?
A water bath is not necessary for cheesecake. Typically I do not use a water bath and have never run into issues. If you prefer to use a water bath when cooking, you absolutely can.
Leftovers and storage
Do you have to refrigerated chocolate cheesecake?
Yes, this recipe should be refrigerated, as it contains dairy.
How long does a chocolate cheesecake last?
It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to a month. Store in a sealed container, before topping, for best results.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you’ll want to freeze before topping. Allow it to chill completely in the refrigerator, then wrap it in plastic wrap twice, or plastic wrap then foil.
If you’re not going to use the bottom of your springform in the meantime, you can freeze it on that, or you can cut a cardboard circle to use. It can be frozen as a whole or in individual slices.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Allow ingredients for filling to come to room temperature before beginning.
✅ Tap the side of your pan with a wooden spoon to release any air pockets that may have been created when mixing.
✅ When the cheesecake is finished cooking, the center should still be a little bit wobbly. It will firm up as it cools.
✅ Add the eggs one at a time and beat slowly to avoid creating large air bubbles in your filling.
✅ Try topping with your favorite crushed nuts like pecans, walnuts, or even toasted almonds for a little crunch too.
What to eat with chocolate cheesecake (serving suggestions)
More delicious cheesecake recipes
- Caramel cheesecake recipe
- Pumpkin spice cheesecake
- No bake cheesecake recipe
- Caramel apple cheesecake recipe
- Key lime cheesecake
- Raspberry cheesecake recipe
- See all our cheesecake recipes!
Tools we love
- Springform pan – We use a 9 inch springform pan for this recipe.
- Electric mixer – You’ll want an electric mixer for beating the filling to the proper consistency.
- Parchment paper – If you want to get your cheesecake off the bottom of your springform pan, definitely line it with a circle of parchment paper!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Chocolate Cheesecake
- 24 oreo cookies
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 32 ounces cream cheese
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ⅔ cup dark cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
Optional: ganache (see notes for details)
- Crush oreo cookies with a blender or food processor.
- Combine crushed cookies and butter until mixed well. Press into the bottom of a parchment lined 9 inch springform pan. I find that using the bottom of a flat glass works well to get the crust pressed in tightly.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffier and increased in volume slightly, add cocoa powder and continue beating until fully incorporated.
- Slowly pour in sweetened condensed milk while continuing to mix.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add eggs one at a time. Do not beat quickly as this will create air bubbles in the cheesecake mixture.
- Pour filling into springform pan and bake on center oven rack at 300 degrees for 70 - 75 minutes. Center should still wiggle slightly when cheesecake is finished. It will firm up as it sets.
- Allow cheesecake to set at room temperature for one hour, then in the refrigerator at least three hours.
- Top with melted ganache and then continue to refrigerate until ganache is set.
- Note: This recipe works best if the filling ingredients are brought to room temperature before beginning.
- Ganache topping: Bring 1¼ cups heavy cream to a light simmer (or microwave for about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and add a 12 ounce package of semisweet mini chocolate morsels to the hot cream. Whisk together until smooth (or use an immersion blender or handheld electric mixer). Allow to cool to about room temperature before pouring over your cheesecake.
Click the button above to save this recipe!