This egg salad is the best egg salad recipe, and the only one you’ll ever need!
Egg salad is such a yummy and easy recipe – if you follow these simple instructions for how to make egg salad you will always have the best egg salad sandwiches.
We used these instant pot hard boiled eggs in our egg salad, but if you don’t own and instapot then this traditional hard boiled egg method is fantastic as well! We like to serve ours with homemade refrigerator pickles.
Egg Salad Ingredients
- Hard boiled eggs – Use whatever method you like for your hard boiled eggs, just make sure they’re completely cooled before chopping and adding them to the egg salad. I like to put mine in an ice water bath immediately after cooking.
- Mayonnaise – Full fat mayo works best. Definitely not Miracle Whip. Even though they look alike, Miracle Whip is actually a dressing and has a totally different flavor.
- Dijon mustard – Yellow mustard works in a pinch, but we prefer dijon.
- Relish – Definitely dill relish. If you don’t have dill relish, small chop a dill pickle.
How do you make egg salad?
Egg salad is so easy to make – literally just mix all the ingredients in a bowl. I like to serve ours on white bread, or if i’m feeling fancy, I’ll make some fresh french bread and do open faced egg salad sandwiches. Mmmmm.
How long is egg salad good for in the fridge?
Egg salad will last about three to five days in the refrigerator. Make sure it’s stored in a sealed container for maximum freshness.
Is eating egg salad good for you?
Egg salad is full of protein and healthy fats. Egg salad can definitely be part of a healthy diet. This particular recipe for egg salad is paleo compliant and keto compliant.
Can you make egg salad and freeze it?
Egg salad does not freeze well. Eggs in general don’t freeze well, as the white becomes hard and rubbery. Thankfully hard boiled eggs are easy to make, so there’s no need to freeze it.
Other Yummy Egg Recipes
Egg Salad Making Tools
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- Instant Pot electric pressure cooker – Hey there working parent! It’s me! Also a working parent! Can we talk about how hard it is to get a healthy dinner on the table during the week? So. Hard. Well, Imma tell you – this electric pressure cooker, and my gas grill are the saving graces in our home. A delicious roast with carrots and potatoes in 45 minutes? Yes, please! You’re seriously going to love this one!
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on. And p.s. I have a lot of cutting boards. It really is absolutely stunning, and knows how to take a beating. We use it every single day!
How to make egg salad
- 6 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 3 - 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish or finely chopped dill pickles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything together, and enjoy!
Here's our instructions for making classic stove top hard boiled eggs!
Here's our instructions for making instant pot hard boiled eggs!