This easy Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe made with ground beef and sour cream is a great quick weekday dinner idea!
Ground beef stroganoff made with ground beef is a super simple and incredibly flavorful meal. In our home it’s a hit with all five kids!
You can serve the ground beef stroganoff over traditional flat egg noodles, or mix it up a little and use whole wheat noodles, or even zucchini noodles!
How do you make a ground beef stroganoff?
We make our ground beef stroganoff on the stovetop. It comes together super quickly because there are only a handful of ingredients. Depending on what cut of beef you use, it can be done in as little as fifteen minutes!
The backbone of a good ground beef stroganoff is going to be the sour cream base, so I implore you not to use the fat free or low fat stuff. Indulge in a rich an velvety sour cream. You won’t be sorry.
What is the recipe for ground beef stroganoff?
We use a combination of ground beef, onions, mushrooms, beef boullion, and sour cream for our ground beef stroganoff.
It really is that basic. But sometimes basic is delicious. My kids like ground beef stroganoff served over egg noodles, but I like it just in a bowl with a spoon or on top of a baked potato!
What is the best cut of meat for beef stroganoff?
How do you serve ground beef stroganoff?
There are so many ways to serve ground beef stroganoff! My personal favorite is over a baked potato or over some zucchini noodles. My kids like it over egg noodles, which is the traditional way to serve beef stroganoff.
Sometimes I even get a little crazy and serve the beef stroganoff in a bowl with potato chips. Mmmmm, so good.
Ground Beef Stroganoff lovers will also want to check out these recipes:
- Cheeseburger Soup – This cheeseburger soup made with ground beef, cheese, and potatoes is the ulitmate yummy comfort food. And you can make a big batch and freeze it for later when you want comfort without the work.
- The Ultimate Loaded Burger Salad – Loaded Burger Salad, for when you want to be healthy, but not really. Hey though, with this one you can tailor it to suit however you’re eating, so yay! Don’t forget the dill relish!
- Loaded Cheeseburger Skewers – Make these loaded cheeseburger kabobs with meatballs or cut up hamburger patties. So fun for a party! My kids like any kind of food on a stick. Are yours the same way?
- Spicy Chipotle Cheeseburger Dip – Cheeseburger dip is sooooo yummy! I love eating it with Fritos! This dip is spicy, but you can skip the heat if it’s not your thing.
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili – Classic beef chili made in the slow cooker is the ultimate Sunday meal. Don’t forget the corn bread!
Check out these Amazon affiliate links for kitchen tools we love!
- Lodge Cast Iron Combo Cooker – Did you know cooking in cast iron actually ads iron to your food? Also cast iron is non stick and virtually indestructible. We love love love our cast iron pots and pans!
- Colorful Porcelain Bowls – I just love pretty bowls. If you’ve watched our live cooking program, you know I have quite the assortment of colorful bowls!
- 6 in 1 Instant Pot – Did you know the Instant Pot can act as a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, and a regular old pan to saute? It’s fantastic and we use ours all the time!
- Brushed Stainless Steel Ladle – It makes me a little crazy when I visit someone and they don’t own a ladle. I want everyone to have a ladle. It also makes me feel sad. Obviously you’re not as into scooping things as I am if you don’t own a ladle. Hah!
- Stainless steel mixing bowls – Classic, basic, mixing bowls that everyone should have in your kitchen. You’ve seen me use them on the cooking show at least seventy bajillion time. Ish.
HOW TO MAKE GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF:
Ground Beef Stroganoff
This easy ground beef stroganoff recipe made with ground beef is a great quick weekday dinner idea!
- 1 pound browned drained ground beef (I cook mine up ahead of time and freeze it in 1 pound batches)
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms my preference is baby portabella, but white is good too
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic jarred is fine if you don't have fresh
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in about 1/4 cup hot water. (I actually prefer Better than Bouillon, no dissolving necessary)
- 12 ounce package of wide flat noodles prepared per package instructions
Using a large pan, saute onion and mushrooms in butter or oil until onion is translucent and mushroom is becoming limp. Add garlic and saute for another couple minutes.
Add ground beef, sour cream and bouillon. Stir until well mixed and cook on medium/low until hot throughout.
Spoon over noodles and enjoy!
Calorie calculation does not include noodles.