Vegetable beef soup has always been one of my favorite soup recipes to order at a restaurant. This hearty vegetable beef soup will soon be a staple in your home!
Remember when vegetable beef soup was on every menu in the 80’s and wood paneled booths were all the rage? Sometimes I miss those days, and when I do – I make this ridiculously simple, and ridiculously delicious beef vegetable soup.
Vegetable Beef Soup Ingredients
- Potatoes – We use russet potatoes, and I don’t peel them. The peel is full of vitamins and minerals and also, why make more work for yourself!
- Tomatoes – Fresh tomatoes are great if you have them on hand and want to take the time to dice them, but don’t be afraid of grabbing a can of diced tomatoes.
- Carrots – I do like to use fresh carrots in this recipe because they will turn to mush otherwise, but if you’re in a pinch canned or frozen will add the same flavor and nutrition.
- Corn – I definitely use canned or frozen corn, the thought of shucking corn for an easy vegetable beef soup – no thanks!
- Green beans – Fresh, canned, or frozen will work here as well with the caveat that you should use cut green beans, not french style.
- Beef – Any cut of beef will work but we usually go with stew meat. It works perfectly in this recipe and I love that it’s inexpensive. Another inexpensive option for vegetable beef soup is top or bottom round.
- Seasoned salt – I’m partial to Lawry’s, but any seasoned salt you love will work.
- Beef broth – You can use beef broth, bouillon cubes + water, or my personal favorite Better than Bouillon.
What is the best cut of meat for vegetable beef soup?
The best cut of meat for vegetable beef soup is stew meat. Any cut of beef will work, but stew meat is inexpensive and will become tender when you cook it for a long time in the soup. There’s no sense in wasting money on a pricey cut of meat for this recipe.
Occasionally we will also use top or bottom round when it goes on sale.
How many calories are in homemade vegetable beef soup?
Our homemade vegetable beef soup has about 300 calories per serving. The recipe serves twelve, but if you wanted to make it six large bowls, this is a perfect filling dinner recipe! Make sure to serve it with a good bread recipe like our no knead bread to soak up all the delicious broth.
What are the best spices to use in vegetable beef soup?
The best spices to use in vegetable soup are salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. We make it easy by using a seasoned salt blend, but you’re welcome to add them separately if you like more or less of something. Occasionally I will add more garlic powder or paprika to taste.
What are the best vegetables to put in vegetable beef soup?
The best vegetables to put in vegetable beef soup are carrots, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, and green beans. That said, this is a great recipe for using up whatever you have lying around. There are very few vegetables that wouldn’t taste good in vegetable beef soup!
Vegetable beef soup shortcuts
I don’t peel my potatoes. The skin is full of nutrients and it just adds more work, so I can’t figure why I would spend my time doing this! There are much better things to do – like nap. Just kidding, I have five kids. I don’t nap either.
If you have fresh tomatoes, that’s awesome. If you don’t, canned works just as well. Don’t stress over this. Life has too many stressors already! Same goes for the rest of the veggies – canned, frozen, fresh, a mix of whatever’s on hand is perfectly alright! Here I used fresh tomato and carrot, but frozen corn and canned green beans!
More recipes like vegetable beef soup
Vegetable beef soup making tools
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- 6.5 Quart dutch oven – This enameled cast iron dutch oven can go from stove top to oven, and look beautiful doing it. Perfect for chilis, roasts, breads, and stews. Mine is yellow, what color will you choose?
- Instant Pot electric pressure cooker – Imma tell you – this electric pressure cooker, and my gas grill are the saving graces in our home. A delicious roast with carrots and potatoes in 45 minutes? Yes, please! You’re seriously going to love this one!
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on. And p.s. I have a lot of cutting boards. It really is absolutely stunning, and knows how to take a beating. We use it every single day!
How to make vegetable soup
You can also watch us make this vegetable soup recipe on YouTube! Make sure to tune in for all our live cooking shows!
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 6 cups diced russet potatoes not peeled
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes canned is fine
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups kernel corn
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 2-3 pounds stew meat chopped bite size
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 4 cups beef broth or 4 cups hot water + boullion
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE SLOW COOKER OR CROCK POT
Optional - brown beef in a skillet with a small amount of cooking oil.
Add everything to the slow cooker (I used my 7 quart cooker) and cook high 6 hours or low 10 hours.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INSTANT POT
Optional: Turn instant pot to saute feature. Brown the beef in a small amount of cooking oil for 3 -5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients to the instant pot, and set to manual for 45 minutes.
When cook cycle is finished, hit cancel and allow natural pressure release for 10 - 15 minutes.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OVEN
Optional: Brown beef on the stovetop in a small amount of cooking oil.
Add everything to a large pot with oven safe lid. We like to use our 6.5 quart enameled cast iron. Cook covered on center oven rack at 350 degrees for 2 - 3 hours, until beef is tender.
Browning the beef is an optional step, but it will help add more flavor as well as help the meat tenderize faster.