Blackening seasoning made at home is a great way to get bold flavors, save money, & make sure you know exactly what you’re eating!
This homemade blackening seasoning blend is so simple to make with spices you already have in your pantry! Try also making your own marinades like cilantro lime marinade, salmon marinade, or lamb marinade next.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Why you’ll love this homemade ranch seasoning recipe!
📌 Cost saving! It’s much more cost effective to make a big batch with the individual ingredients than buying commercially prepared blends.
📌Control what you’re eating. Add more or less of what you love and fine tune to your own tastes.
📌 Bolder flavor. Make it with the freshest spices so you know it will keep and taste great for a long time.
Blackening Seasoning Ingredients
- Paprika – We use plain paprika, but you can use smoked paprika if you like it too.
- Cayenne pepper – Adds flavor and a little kick.
- Onion powder – Make sure it’s not onion salt. If you use onion salt, reduce the amount of kosher salt.
- Garlic powder – Make sure it’s not garlic salt. If you use onion salt, reduce the amount of kosher salt.
- Italian seasoning – You can use your homemade Italian seasoning blend, grab some from the market, or just use a pinch each of oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and sage.
- Salt – Kosher salt.
- Black pepper – Fresh cracked black pepper will give the best flavor.
How do you make dried ranch seasoning? (step-by-step directions)
⭐ First, add all the measured dried spices to a clean dry bowl.
⭐ Then, mix thoroughly with a fork or a whisk, making sure to break up any clumps.
⭐ Next, carefully pour spice blend into an airtight container.
⭐ Finally, store in a cool dry place until ready to use.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
Why make your own blackening seasoning blend?
I love a quick-grab packet as much as the next gal, but there really is something to be said for making your own spice blends!
- Adjust the flavor to your tastes.
- Gluten free.
- Know exactly what’s in them.
- No additives, preservatives, fillers, colorings, or anti-caking agents.
- Money saving.
Can you make spice blends ahead of time?
Absolutely! We typically make a large jar and use it over the course of several months.
How much blackening seasoning should I use?
This recipe is a 1:1 with store bought blackening seasoning mix, so use it exactly as you would when using a commercially prepared blend.
How do you store homemade seasonings?
Spice blends should be stored in an airtight container in a cool dry environment (like an air conditioned house).
Do not store them in the refrigerator as they will condensate when you bring them out and it can cause clumping.
How long does DIY seasoning last?
Dried spice blends theoretically last forever, but will begin to lose flavor potency after about 6 months.
Check your spice labels and make sure not to use out-of-date spices.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Make it spicy by adding extra ground peppercorn, cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, or red pepper flakes.
✅ If you live in a humid area, you can add a food safe silica packet to the jar to help prevent clumping.
✅ The spices may separate while stored, just go ahead and give the jar a shake or stir to mix them back up.
When to use it
More homemade seasoning recipes
- Ranch seasoning recipe
- Italian seasoning blend
- Steak seasoning recipe
- DIY chili seasoning
- Fajita seasoning recipe
- Homemade spice rub
- Soy ginger salmon marinade
- Apple pie spice recipe
- See all our seasoning recipes and spice blends!
Tools we love
- Glass spice jars – I love putting our homemade spice mixes in pretty glass jars.
- Bulk spices – It’s amazing how much money you can save by buying spices in bulk and making your own mixes!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Blackening Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all the measured dried spices to a clean dry bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with a fork or a whisk, making sure to break up any clumps.
- Carefully pour spice blend into an airtight container.
- Store in a cool dry place until ready to use.
- Spice: Make it spicy by adding extra ground peppercorn, red pepper flakes, chili powder, or chipotle powder.
- Smoke: Give it a hint of smoke by using smoked paprika or smoked salt.
- Herbs: Swap or add other complimentary herbs.
- Umami: Add more onion powder or some dried mushroom powder.
- Sweet: Brown or white sugar, granulated honey, or powdered maple syrup will add a touch of sweet
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!