I have been craving spinach and soup all day, so for dinner I put them together. This is a fantastic amalgamation of several recipes I found online. Enjoy!
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– 1 head of garlic (about 5-7 cloves), minced
– 1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
– 1/3 cup flour
– 1/4 tsp nutmeg
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp pepper
– 4 or 5 cups whole milk (depending on how thick you prefer)
– 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed & drained
– Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for several minutes, until translucent & soft
(TIP: The longer you cook garlic, the more mild the flavor becomes)
– Add flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
– Incorporate milk, one cup at a time. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat.
– Add spinach and remove from heat. It will thicken once removed from stove top.