Cucumber tomato salad is one of my favorite super simple side dishes. Only a few simple ingredients it makes a great healthy snack too!
Cucumber tomato salad is such a simple salad recipe, but it tastes so great. If you grow tomatoes and cucumbers in your garden, it’s a no brainer. But if you’re me and only able to successfully grow anything about 1 in every 4 years (can we talk about my $100 tomatoes, hah!), there’s nothing wrong with picking up the ingredients at your local market.
What goes well with Cucumber Tomato Salad?
I love serving this light and bright cucumber tomato salad with a heavier protein like seared steak or lemon garlic lamb, especially when they’re made on the grill. It’s the perfect counter balance to the gaminess of red meat and the char of the grill. This is also the perfect dish to bring to barbecues or potlucks.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Ingredients
- Cucumber – I like to look for the smaller cucumbers with no wax coating, but if you can’t find any or their out of season and way too expensive, go for the regular cukes and just peel them first.
- Tomato – I like a vine ripened tomato, or cherry tomatoes because they tend to be more flavorful. Just half the cherry tomatoes if that’s what you use.
- Mozzarella cheese – In a pinch you can use string cheese or block mozzarella, but the best result is going to be from fresh soft mozzarella. Look for it near the deli at most markets. If you’re not a mozzarella fan, feta cheese works nicely too, even a good blue cheese will taste delicious.
- Basil – I keep a dying basil plant on my window sill most of the year. Do you? I can’t be the only one. If you don’t, most produce department will sell a handful of refrigerated fresh leaves in the refrigerated section.
- Dressing – We like a creamy dressing to tie all the flavors together.
- Olives – The tangier and saltier the better!
- Optional – Sometimes I’ll shave some red onion into the mix, and if I have ripe bell peppers on hand, I’ve been known to toss those in too.
More Salads like the Cucumber Tomato Salad
These salads are all the perfect accompaniment to your yummy grilled dinner, or to bring to the next neighborhood potluck. If you’re having a party, why not make two or three since they’re so easy!
Cucumber Tomato Salad making Tools
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it’s fun and colorful!
- Large salad bowl – This raspberry colored serving bowl is everything. I want to serve everything in it this summer. Everyone needs a good large bowl. Or twelve.
- Serving spoon set – I inherited some large stainless steel serving spoons from my grandparents (you can see them in this post!) and they’re my absolute favorite. Everyone should have a set.
How to make a Cucumber Tomato Salad
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 2 large tomatoes chilled
- 2 medium cucumbers chilled
- 1 - 2 fresh basil leaves
- approximately 15 – 20 medium kalamata Greek olives pitted
- 6 - 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup creamy Caesar dressing
- Cut tomatoes, cucumbers and cheese into bite sized pieces. If cucumber is waxed, you'll want to peel it first. Add to a salad bowl.
- Finely chop the basil and olives, add to salad bowl.
- Drizzle in salad dressing and stir until you’ve reached desired coverage.
- Serve immediately while cool, crisp and delicious!
originally posted 6.23.11