Roasted tomatoes are simple to make and make a delicious side dish or topping for rib eye steak, baked potatoes, or even over pasta!
Roasted Tomatoes are a great way to use up tomatoes before they go bad (I feel like produce turns so quickly!). It’s also an easy way to bring out the rich natural flavors of a tomato. They can be large or small, and are so easy to make and delicious to eat!
Often on hot summer days we’ll eat outside, making a cheese board with olive tapenade, burst tomatoes, and my french bread recipe. Paired with a glass of white wine or a cold beer makes a enjoying a warm night a breeze.
Roasted Tomatoes Ingredients
- Tomatoes – I love using whole cherry or grape tomatoes, but you can use larger tomatoes as well. You can see in our pictures that we did a cherry tomato batch and a plum tomato batch! When you use cherry tomatoes, they’re sometimes called “burst tomatoes” because they will burst open when cooking.
- Olive Oil – The flavor is going to come through, so use a good quality oil.
- Kosher Salt – The salt will draw out moisture and add flavor.
How Do You Make Roasted Tomatoes
⭐ First, halve or quarter whole tomatoes. If using cherry or grape, leave whole.
⭐ Next, place tomatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer (skin side down for cut tomatoes).
⭐ Then, drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
⭐ Finally, roast on center rack of oven.
What Is The Best Tomato For Roasting
The best tomato for roasting depends on two things: what you have on hand, and what you plan to use it for! Roasting intensifies the tomato flavor so, most recipes are interchangeable, but some guidelines include:
- Roma tomatoes for sauce, due to their thicker skins and lower water content. Also best for canning.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes for eating whole, as on bruschetta, due to their bite sized packaging.
- Any tomatoes will work for almost any dish once roasted!
Tips and Tricks
🟢 Choose a mild or high quality flavorful olive oil. There are only three ingredients, so make sure you like the flavors you’re adding.
🟢 For a chewier more “sun-dried” tomato, cut the temperature in half and at least double the bake time. Keep an eye and pull them out when the tomatoes have roasted to your desired consistency.
🟢 Line your baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleaning. If you don’t line your baking sheet, you may notice that it’s SUPER clean in the spots where the tomatoes cooked after you wash. This is because the acidity of the tomatoes + the heat of the oven will get rid of stains!
🟢 You can roast tomatoes in a toaster oven! I love to roast the last few tomatoes in our toaster oven before they go bad. No need to fire up the wall oven.
Storage and Leftovers
How Long Do Roasted Tomatoes Last
They will last 3-5 days in the refrigerator if stored in airtight plastic bags or containers.
Do Cooked Tomatoes Freeze Well
Cooked tomatoes do freeze well, and can be used in sauces, stews, juice, or the recipe of your choice. You can also freeze the roasted tomatoes after they are cooked.
How Long Can You Keep Tomatoes In The Freezer
Tomatoes can be kept in the freezer indefinitely, but will have the best texture and taste if used within six months.
How Do You Thaw Frozen Tomatoes
Thaw frozen tomatoes by placing in refrigerator 24 hours before you want to use them in your recipe.
Can You Can Roasted Tomatoes
You can preserve the tomatoes by canning. Follow a canning recipe that includes an acid, like vinegar or lemon juice, as canning requires a specific pH for safety.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Fire Roasted Tomatoes are technically tomatoes roasted over an open fire. To get a “fire roasted” taste on your oven tomatoes, let them cook til slightly charred in spots (you could move roasting pan closer to broiler and broil for a few minutes at end of roast).
These charred spots will add a fire roasted quality, especially if chopped an added to other recipes.
Are Roasted Tomatoes Healthy
They are healthy; in fact, cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes! Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is a powerful free radical scavenger–this means they may be helpful in preventing cancer. Lycopene and other phytochemicals are released by cooking the fruit, so they are more accessible to your body.
Cooking tomatoes does reduce their vitamin C content, but the trade off for more lycopene is worth it overall according to food scientists.
Are Roasted Tomatoes Keto
They are keto, in that they are low in carbohydrates and high in nutrition. The addition of olive oil increases their fat content as well, which is considered good on the ketogenic diet.
How Do You Use Roasted Tomatoes
Soups, sauces, toppings, oh my goodness – it’s hard to think of something they wouldn’t taste good with these!
- Hummus – roasted tomatoes add a wonderful flavor to your homemade hummus! Or you can use store-bought hummus and make it your own! (try our quick Taco Hummus!)
- Pasta sauces – the tomatoes add a depth of flavor to quick pasta sauces. (add them to your puttanesca!)
- Risoto – stir in the tomatoes for a rich, tomato-y flavor. (Sub for the sun dried tomatoes in our Slow Cooker Risotto)
- Sandwiches – anywhere a fresh tomato can go, a roasted tomato can take farther. (Bring your club sandwich up a notch!)
- Soups – like sauces, roasted tomatoes added to soup make the flavors more complex. A simple recipe is to add your tomatoes to a high speed blender, adding chicken broth and avocado for a smooth, creamy bisque.
- Bruschetta – a classic use of these tomatoes (try it with our easy bruschetta topping!)
- Salsas – mix in with other classic salsa ingredients, like chilis and onions. Especially good with the “fire roasted” type of roast. Try them in our simple pico de gallo salsa!
- Casseroles – try stirring a cup of these delicious tomatoes into our classic green bean casserole for a fun twist!
More delicious tomato recipes
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables!
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on. We use it every single day!
- Silicone baking mats – Nothing sticks to these! Whaaaa?!
- Bakers half sheet – It’s cool, we only have about six of these bakers half sheets because they’re good for absolutely everything.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How To Make Roasted Tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- If using normal sized tomatoes, halve or quarter. If using cherry or grape tomatoes, leave whole.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer (skin side down for sliced tomatoes).
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and move the tomatoes around a bit to make sure the oil gets under them too.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Roast on center rack of oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
Xan Porter says
You answered all of my questions about roasting tomatoes! Thanks!
April Woods says
you’re so welcome!
These are amazing!! Love all the storage tips!!!
Mary Meyer says
Love all your recipes! You have taken my cooking for one to a new level. I feel like I am making gourmet dishes for myself.
April Woods says
aw that’s so sweet. thank you!