After taking a few bites of his Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Shells, my husband proclaimed, “Well if I had known they were going to be this good, I never would have let you freeze the other half!” It was a scrumptiously hearty meal offset beautifully by a simple side of butter sauteed zucchini.
Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Shells Ingredients:
- one box large shells (approximately 36 shells)
- 1 pound uncooked pork sausage (I used mild so my kids would eat it, but this would be awesome with Italian or spicy sausage!)
- 7 ounce package frozen sliced mushroom (or about 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh)
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped green peppers (or about 2 cups chopped fresh)
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped white onion (or about 2 cups chopped fresh)
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (I used jarred)
- 2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Shells Directions:
- Cook shells per package directions, then chill by rinsing with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large pan, brown sausage then add onion, peppers, mushroom, and garlic. Saute on medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add tomatoes and cook about one more minute.
- Drain meat and veggies with a colander (but set aside drippings!) and add ricotta. Mix well, then carefully spoon mixture into cooked shells.
- Place stuffed shells into a casserole dish (or dishes) and drizzle with reserved drippings and spaghetti sauce. (If you are going to freeze, do so now).
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan and mozzarella and continue to bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
- Serve and enjoy!