I have a bonafide stuffed pepper obsession. I mean, they’re the perfect vessel for delivering individual portions of food. They’re pretty. And hellloooo, Nurse, they’re DELICIOUS. I hope you enjoy these Sausage Stuffed Breakfast Peppers as much as I do. They’re gluten-free, dairy free, primal and paleo friendly. And, marvelous. Simply, marvelous.
Sausage Stuffed Breakfast Peppers, Ingredients:
- 8 large bell peppers (any color is fine, my market had a sale on the colorful stuff so I went with it!)
- 2 sweet yellow onions, chopped
- 2 pounds mild pork sausage, ground
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I used jarred)
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
Sausage Stuffed Breakfast Peppers, Directions:
- Cut off the tops of the peppers, cut away extra from around the stem. Chop and add to your chopped onion. Clean inside the bottom part of the peppers.
- Brown sausage, drain. Put back on stovetop and add onion, chopped pepper bits, and garlic.
- Saute until onion is translucent (but not mushy).
- Place peppers upright in an oven safe dish. Stuff *almost* to the top with sausage mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and use a spoon to depress the stuffing and make a small well in the middle of each pepper.
- Crack an egg on top, then return to middle rack of oven. Broil for 5-10 minutes (watch closely!) until eggs are done to your liking.
- Salt and pepper to taste and ENJOY!
NOTE: If you’d like to freeze these, set them upright on a cookie sheet and let them freeze through. Then toss in a large freezer bag. Grab out as many or few as you want when you’re ready to eat!
And if you love stuffed peppers (like me!) be sure to check out these Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers!