Learn how to make delicious and simple Bulletproof Coffee (also called Butter Coffee or Keto Coffee) with this easy recipe!
Bulletproof Coffee!!! You guys, everyone I tell about this stuff turns up their nose. And then they try it. And become addicted. Because it’s SOOOOOO good! This keto coffee recipe is perfect for folks like me who can’t handle the idea of food in the morning. On days when we want more, there’s always some bacon in the oven, a batch of breakfast chili, or some sausage stuffed breakfast peppers. Not doing paleo or keto? Then definitely try our blueberry pancake recipe!
Bulletproof Coffee Ingredients
- Black coffee – Any type of black coffee you like will work. I usually make mine decaf as I am sensitive to caffeine and sometimes I’ll make my butter coffee with a naturally flavored coffee like hazelnut or peppermint. There’s no special way to prepare it, I usually use my Keurig.
- Butter – Technically any kind of butter will work, but if you’re drinking a bulletproof coffee recipe for the health benefits, then you’ll want to go with the best butter you can find. We are partial to Kerrygold butter because it’s from grassfed cows and also has lower moisture content than typical American butters. Most folks make their coffee with unsalted butter, but I actually prefer to use salted.
- Coconut oil – Also sometimes referred to as MCT oil which stands for Medium Chain Triglyceride Oil. MCT’s are metabolized differently than the long-chain triglycerides (LCT) found in most other foods.
How do you make bulletproof coffee? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, add butter and oil to hot coffee.
⭐ Next, pour hot coffee over top.
⭐ Then, blend with an electric blender.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof coffee, also sometimes referred to as butter coffee, is coffee blended with butter and coconut oil (also called MCT oil).
It has been around in paleo and crossfit circles for a long time, but just recently seems to be making its way into the mainstream. There are about as many ways to make it as there are makers of coffee, but I’m just going to tell you about mine.
What are the Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof coffee is full of healthy fats and can help you get your day started on the right foot. I find when I drink a mug of keto coffee in the morning, I am not hungry again until lunch time, even if butter coffee is the only thing I had for breakfast.
For me the benefit of keto coffee is being able to have a quick “breakfast” (I’m not much of a morning eater), and feeling full until the next meal. The healthy fats in high quality butter and coconut oil are good for your body and brain, and bonus – it tastes delicious.
Is Bulletproof Coffee Ketogenic?
Yes, this coffee is ketogenic. In fact in some circles you’ll hear it referred to as keto coffee. Whether you call it bulletproof coffee, butter, coffee, or keto coffee – it’s all delicious and great on many diets.
A lot of people rely on this coffee for weightloss as it allows you to stay full without eating too much and it’s super easy to make in the morning. Not like so many other diet foods that require a lot of prep before you get out the door.
More Like Bulletproof Coffee
- Keto Peppermint Mocha
- Peppermint Mocha
- How to Make Cashew Creamer
- Date Paste Natural Sweetener
- Pumpkin Spiced Simple Syrup
- How to Make Clarified Butter
- Pumpkin Spiced Frozen Coffee
Tools we love
- White Porcelain 17 ounce Latte Mugs – I am a mug snob. Total. Mug. Snob. And I deem these not only acceptable, but gorgeous and the perfect receptacle for your morning cup of keto coffee!
- Kahlua Gourmet Ground Coffee, Hazelnut – The only thing I love more than butter coffee is hazelnut butter coffee. You guyssssss, it’s so good.
- Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter – Unsalted – my fave butter. I’ll tell you a secret though. Sometimes I use salted. And it’s delicious.
- Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – If you’re going to make bulletproof coffee, you ought to go all out and make the best!
- Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker, Chrome – This is the coffee maker I have in the kitchen. It’s pretty and it makes a solid cup of bulletproof joe.
- Keurig Elite Brewing System – This is the coffee maker I have in my office. Also makes a solid cup of bulletproof joe.
- Zero Fox Mug from Etsy – This is my Monday cup. Also, sometimes my Tuesday cup when Tuesday is acting like Monday.
How to make Bulletproof Coffee
- 1 tablespoon high quality butter unsalted (you can clarify it first if you're lactose sensitive!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 8 - 10 ounces strong coffee
- Add butter and oil to the coffee cup (or whatever mixing vessel you're using), pour hot coffee over top. Blend with a stick blender (or in your upright).
Love breakfast? Try these cinnamon rolls made with crescent dough!
What is bulletproof coffee?
Bulletproof coffee recipe is coffee blended with butter and coconut oil. Bulletproof coffee is also a trademarked brand of coffee beans.
Does bulletproof coffee taste good?
Bulletproof coffee (also called Butter Coffee) is creamy, frothy, and tastes great.
Why do you blend bulletproof coffee?
Blending bulletproof coffee emulsifies the fat (butter and coconut oil) and creates a creamy homogeneous drink. If you do not blend bulletproof coffee, the fat will separate and sit on the top.