Confession: I’ve never actually been to Tuscany. (Also, I’ve never made risotto before.) But that was because it sounded like an insane amount of work. All that stirring. Uhg, no thanks. But then one day I was perusing the cornerstone of slow cooking and discovered you could make it in a crock. Jackpot! So this past week we had a little dinnertime jaunt to Italy. And it was lovely.
I served this with some braised chicken thighs and cannolis for dessert. I would give you the cannoli recipe, except I cheated and bought them. I hope you enjoy my Slow Cooker Tuscan Risotto. Pair it with a glass of deep red, and some close friends. Mmmmmm.
Slow Cooker Tuscan Risotto Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup quartered marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 4 ounces fresh gourmet blend mushrooms (or whatever your market has available if they don’t sell the fru-fru stuff)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, fine diced
- 4 teaspoons basil pesto
- 2 cups Arborio Italian style rice
- 4 1/4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan Reggiano cheese
Slow Cooker Tuscan Risotto Directions:
- Rough chop the artichokes, tomatoes and mushrooms. Heat olive oil on the stove top and add all ingredients except rice, stock, and cheese. Saute for 3-4 minutes to marry flavors and soften the onions.
- Add all ingredients except cheese to the crock pot and stir until well mixed. Cook on high for 1 1/2 – 2 hours (mine was perfect at 1 3/4 hours).
- Stir in cheese and serve!
Serves 4 – 6
This post is brought to you by Rice Select.