Stuffed pepper soup, all the flavor of stuffed peppers without the work. Ground beef, rice, tomatoes, & peppers make a delicious hearty meal.
Stuffed pepper soup is so easy to make, you’ll want it for dinner every week. Try it alongside our quick yeast dinner rolls and homemade sugar cookie bars!
Stuffed Pepper Soup
Stuffed Pepper Soup Ingredients
- Ground beef – You can also make it with ground chicken, ground turkey, or even ground sausage.
- Onion – Small, yellow, diced.
- Garlic – Minced.
- Tomatoes – Diced, canned.
- Tomato sauce – Plain, canned.
- Worcestershire sauce – Soy sauce can be substituted in a pinch.
- Broth or stock – Chicken.
- Bell peppers – Rough chopped.
- Rice – White instant rice.
- Seasonings – seasoned salt & pepper.
How do you make stuffed pepper soup? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, brown ground beef, drain. Add the onion, garlic and seasoned salt and sauté until the onions are translucent.
⭐ Next, pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
⭐ Then, add the bell peppers, cover, and cook until peppers are tender. Add in the rice and cook until done.
⭐ Finally, if needed, stir in the remaining chicken stock until the desired consistency has been reached.
Can you make stuffed pepper soup ahead of time?
Yes! You can absolutely make this a few days in advance and eat it as your ready. If possible, add the rice immediately before eating otherwise it may absorb more liquid than desired.
If necessary, stir additional broth into soup to loosen it up.
Can you make stuffed pepper soup in the instant pot?
This recipe can be made in an instant pot. You’ll want to brown the beef on saute mode, then add remaining ingredients to the inner pot (except the rice). Cook on manual, then add the rice and allow it to cook in the residual heat. (Full directions are provided below in the printable recipe card).
Can you make it in the slow cooker?
This recipe can be made in a slow cooker (crock pot). You’ll want to brown the beef on the stove top, then add it and the remaining ingredients to the pot (except the rice). Cook several hours, then add the rice and allow it to cook an additional few minutes in the residual heat. (Full directions are provided below in the printable recipe card).
Storage and leftovers
How long does stuffed pepper soup last in the fridge?
Leftovers will be good in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days. The rice will continue to absorb liquid as it sits, so you may need to add additional water or broth when reheating to get back to the desired consistency.
Can you freeze bell pepper soup?
Yes, if at all possible freeze before adding the rice. If you are freezing leftovers just know that the rice will continue to absorb liquid. You’ll just want to add more water or broth when reheating to get back to the desired consistency.
What to eat with stuffed green pepper soup? (Serving suggestions)
This soup goes so well with homemade French bread or a buttery melty grilled cheese sandwich. And, I don’t know about you, but a comfort food dinner like this deserves a comfort food dessert like 7 layer magic bars.
Most stuffed recipes to love
- Mexican stuffed peppers
- Cheese and bacon stuffed mushrooms
- Stuffed cabbage soup
- Stuffed breakfast peppers
More delicious soup recipes
- Pumpkin curry soup recipe
- Tortellini soup with ground sausage
- Wild rice soup with mushrooms
- Creamy asparagus soup recipe
- See all our easy soup recipes
More recipes with ground beef
- Baked spaghetti casserole
- Classic sloppy joes
- Homemade beef enchiladas
- Frito pie recipe
- See all our recipes made with ground beef
Tools we love
- Dutch oven – I love this 5.5 quart dutch oven for cooking soups on the stove top.
- Instant pot – Want soup in a hurry? This instant pot is your new best friend.
- Crock pot – I’ve had this slow cooker for 18 years and it’s still one of my favorite kitchen things.
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 30 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 30 ounces plain tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 - 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups roughly chopped green bell peppers about 3 medium sized peppers
- 2 cups instant white rice
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
- Brown ground beef in a large stock pot, drain. Add the onion, garlic and seasoned salt and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce and 4 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the bell peppers, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add in the rice and cook until done (about 5 minutes, or according to package directions).
- If needed, stir in the remaining chicken stock until the desired consistency has been reached.
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS
- Brown ground beef on saute mode, drain.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT rice. Cover, set to 'sealing' and cook on manual (high pressure) for 3 minutes. Hit cancel, NPR ten minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- Stir in rice and cover (pot should not be on, rice will cook with residual heat). Allow to sit for 5 - 7 minutes until rice is cooked to your liking.
- Stir in remaining chicken stock, if you wish, until desired consistency is reached, (bring back to a simmer on sauté mode if needed).
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
- Brown ground beef on stovetop, drain.
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT rice to slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high for 4 - 6 hours or low for 8 - 10 hours.
- Stir in rice and cover. Allow to sit for 5 - 7 minutes until rice is cooked to your liking.
- Stir in remaining chicken stock, if you wish, until desired consistency is reached.
I had everything on hand to make this fast simple yummy soup, except instant rice. I precooked 1 1/2 cups of normal rice in chicken broth and added the cooked rice at the end. Super yummy on a chilly fall night!
Thank you 😋
I have critiqued this recipe and only used 1 pound of beef and 1/2 of bell peppers on recipes. We also used
2 cups of regular rice that was left over. The three peppers and other pound of beef would have overpowered this recipe.
April Woods says
I’m glad you enjoyed your version. 🙂
Best stuffed pepper soup of all time. So easy and quick. This is a repeat by request recipe by fam and friends.