Asparagus Soup is easy to make and the perfect yummy addition to your dinner menu. Make it cream of asparagus soup or without cream!
Asparagus soup may not be as popular are our Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup, but I truly think it’s the unsung hero of our repertoire. Make it creamy or not creamy, and it’s still so delicious.
I made this cream of asparagus soup for my grandfather once. He claimed he loved soup, but NOT asparagus soup. Needless to say, we changed his mind and he asked for it again the next evening!
Is asparagus soup good for you?
Asparagus soup can be very good for you! It all depends on what diet you are following and what ingredients you use. As written, it’s full of healthy vegetables and fats.
This asparagus soup recipe has no added sugar and no grains. It is also very easily modifiable. If you are vegetarian use olive oil and vegetable stock, if you are dairy free, skip the cream altogether or use coconut cream or cashew cream instead!
What herbs do you put in asparagus soup?
This asparagus soup doesn’t contain any fresh herbs, instead we rely on a combination of seasoned salt, sweet onion, and minced garlic to flavor the soup. My favorite seasoned salt for this recipe is Vegetable Magic Seasoning.
Also, whenever possible, we use our homemade chicken or turkey stock.
What can you do with asparagus ends?
Asparagus ends can be used in cooking, but to be perfectly honest, I feel like they take more work than it’s worth for me. We keep a compost container on our counter and the asparagus ends go there.
Eventually they feed our garden, and that makes me happy.
How can I thicken up my asparagus soup?
This iteration of asparagus soup isn’t especially thick, but there are some ways to thicken up your asparagus soup. If you want to thicken it from the beginning, you can create a roux by adding flour to to the recipe when you heat up the fat or vegetable oil.
Another way to thicken asparagus soup is is to create a starch slurry with corn starch or tapoioca starch and water. Stir that into the soup toward the end and that will thicken it up some.
My personal favorite way to thicken an asparagus soup is to add potato. You could cook a small potato in it and then blend the whole thing when you blend the rest of the soup. Alternatively, you could toss a few tablespoons of dried potato flakes in at the end until you reach your desired consistency.
Can you freeze fresh asparagus soup?
More recipes like asparagus soup
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup – Literally the most popular recipe on our site! This Potato Soup has been pinned over a million times, and is definitely my husband’s favorite soup.
- Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup – Totally better than Panera’s broccoli cheese soup! And you don’t even have to put pants on to enjoy it.
- Zuppa Toscana – Sausage and potato soup inspired by Olive Garden. But tastier. Super easy to make and filling enough for a whole meal.
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Stew – You won’t even believe how healthy and easy this stew is! Toss it all in the crock pot or instant pot, and boom! Delicious dinner!
- Sweet Potato Peanut Curry Soup – I brought a batch of this peanut curry soup to a friends house and she liked it so much that she hid the leftovers from her husband. The secret to this soup is peanut butter powder!
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup – Another yummy green soup! Another soup with only a few ingredients! Let’s make them all!
Asparagus Soup making tools
- Enameled Dutch Oven – If you watch our live cooking show, you’ll see me using this fantastic dutch oven alllll the time. Doesn’t matter the brand, it’s all about the color. Find the colorful dutch oven you love and I bet you’ll find yourself cooking more!
- Pacifica Soup Bowls – There is literally no such thing as too many bowls. I heart bowls. So much. I love these in white especially. They’re so deep! Room for so much asparagus soup!
- Classic Stainless Steel Soup Ladle – It makes me a little crazy when I visit someone and they don’t own a ladle. I want everyone to have a ladle. It also makes me feel sad. Obviously you’re not as into scooping things as I am if you don’t own a ladle. Hah!
- OXO Garlic Press – Best tool evvvvah. Love this garlic press, it’s so nice for making super quick minced garlic. No more mincing with a knife for me!
How to Make Asparagus Soup
- 2 pounds asparagus chopped, woody ends discarded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup small diced sweet yellow onion about 1/2 a small onion
- 1 heaping tablespoon bacon fat* here's an easy way to keep bacon fat on hand!
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream OPTIONAL
- garnish: crispy bacon bits
- Saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt in bacon fat for about ten minutes, until onions are soft and translucent.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a light boil. Add asparagus.
- Simmer covered for 20 - 30 minutes, until asparagus is soft.
- Add heavy cream, and puree with an immersion blender until smooth (or carefully pour into your upright blender).