Stuffed Cabbage Soup is a simple hearty recipe with all the delicious flavors of Traditional Stuffed Cabbage Rolls but none of the work!
I wanted stuffed cabbage for dinner. So I ran to the market and got all the ingredients. But then, after a full day of work followed by grocery shopping I could. not. bring. myself. to. stuff. cabbage. rolls. And so, our easy stuffed cabbage soup recipe was born! I like to serve it with some no knead beer bread, and cake mix donuts for dessert!
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Stuffed Cabbage Soup Ingredients
- Sweet yellow onion
- Garlic cloves, minced (do you have a garlic press? you should.)
- Seasoned salt
- Cooked ground beef
- Diced tomatoes (canned)
- Plain tomato sauce (canned)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chicken stock (here’s how to make chicken stock)
- Cabbage, chopped
- Quick cooking white rice
How do you make stuffed cabbage soup?
⭐ First, in a large stock pot brown ground beef.
⭐ Next, saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and stock. Bring back to a simmer.
⭐ Then, stir in cabbage and cook until cabbage is wilted and softened.
⭐ Finally, stir in rice and cover until rice is ready. Stir in remaining chicken stock, as needed until desired consistency is reached.
More soup recipes to love!
- Chicken Puttanesca Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Salsa Soup
- Creamy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup
- Soup made with Italian Sausage
- Spicy Cheeseburger and Potato Soup
- See all our easy recipes for soup!
More awesome cabbage recipes
- Oven roasted cabbage steaks
- Unstuffed Egg Rolls
- Cabbage beef soup
- Corned beef and cabbage
- Cabbage curry stew
- Make sure to check our our entire collection of cabbage recipes!
More ways to cook ground beef
- Wendy’s Chili Copycat Recipe
- Ground Beef Stroganoff with Curry
- Crockpot Slow Cooker Chili
- Easy Italian Sloppy Joes
- Make sure to check out all our easy ground beef recipes!
Tools we love
- Enameled dutch oven – if you watch our live cooking show, you’ll see me using this fantastic dutch oven alllll the time. Doesn’t matter the brand, it’s all about the color. Find the colorful dutch oven you love and I bet you’ll find yourself cooking more!
- White ceramic dishware – I love white dishes because you can tell with a glance whether they’ve been cleaned. With five kids, this is a real thing.
- Ceramic soup bowls – there is literally no such thing as too many bowls. I heart bowls. So much.
- Colorful cotton bandanas (we use them as napkins!) – sometime around 2012 I decided I’d had enough of paper napkins and paper towels. We were going through such a ridiculous amount and it felt like I was just throwing money directly into the trash. So, I ordered 100 (yes!) bandannas and here we are five years later still using them! It’s perfect.
- Stainless steel soup ladle – my soup ladle is constantly going missing. Does this happen at other people’s homes?
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced (do you have a garlic press? you should.)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 pounds cooked ground beef
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes canned
- 30 ounces plain tomato sauce canned
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock here's how to make your own
- 1 head cabbage chopped
- 3 cups quick cooking white rice
- In a large stock pot brown ground beef (drain excess liquid if desired), then add onion, garlic, and seasoned salt until mixture is aromatic and onions are translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 4 cups chicken stock. Bring back to a simmer.
- Stir in cabbage and cook on medium/low covered about 20 minutes until cabbage is wilted and softened. Stir in rice and cover until rice is ready.
- Stir in remaining chicken stock, as needed until desired consistency is reached. Enjoy!
- In inner pot on saute mode, brown ground beef (drain excess liquid if desired), then add onion, garlic, and seasoned salt until mixture is aromatic and onions are translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 4 cups chicken stock, and cabbage.
- Cover, set to 'sealing' and cook on manual (high pressure) for 3 minutes. Hit cancel, NPR ten minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- Stir in rice and cover (pot should not be on, rice will cook with residual heat). Allow to sit for 5 - 7 minutes until rice is cooked to your liking.
- Stir in remaining chicken stock, if you wish, until desired consistency is reached, (bring back to a simmer on saute mod) . Enjoy!
Does cabbage roll soup freeze well?
Yes, but freeze before adding the rice, otherwise the rice will continue to absorb moisture and you will not have any broth left when it is reheated.
What kind of rice for cabbage roll soup?
We prefer a quick cooking rice.
Should I cook the rice separately for stuffed cabbage soup?
Only if you plan to freeze the soup.