Stuffed Cabbage Soup is a simple hearty recipe with all the delicious flavors of Traditional Stuffed Cabbage Rolls but none of the work!
This Stuffed Cabbage Soup recipe is born of pure laziness. I wanted stuffed cabbage for dinner. So I ran to the market and got all the ingredients. But then, after a full day of work followed by grocery shopping I could. not. bring. myself. to. stuff. cabbage. rolls.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Stuffed Cabbage Soup Ingredients
- Sweet yellow onion
- Garlic cloves, minced (do you have a garlic press? you should.)
- Seasoned salt
- Cooked ground beef
- Diced tomatoes (canned)
- Plain tomato sauce (canned)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chicken stock (here’s how to make chicken stock)
- Cabbage, chopped
- Quick cooking white rice
How do you make stuffed cabbage soup?
★ First, in a large stock pot saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt in a small amount of olive oil until mixture is aromatic and onions are translucent.
★ Next, add ground beef and bring to a simmer. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 4 cups chicken stock. Bring back to a simmer.
★ Then, stir in cabbage and cook on medium/low covered about 20 minutes until cabbage is wilted and softened.
★ Finally, stir in rice and cover until rice is ready. Stir in remaining chicken stock, as needed until desired consistency is reached.
More soup recipes
- Chicken Puttanesca Soup – This soup always makes me think of the movie – oh, that one with Jim Carrey based on the books – Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events. I really loved that movie. But I bet you’re going to tell me the books were better. And I bet you’re right.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Salsa Soup – Holy great balls of all things delicious. This is one of my favorite soups of all times, ever. Here’s a secret: use a fire roasted salsa for extra depth of flavor. Oh, YUM.
- Creamy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup – This soup was inspired by one of my favorite salads. And we all know that everything’s better in soup form. Mmmmm.
- Spicy Cheeseburger and Potato Soup – Have you noticed I like turning regular meals into soup versions? It’s a thing. Why eat a cheeseburger when you can drink it! Wait… that sounded weird. But no, really. This soup is fantastic!
- See all our easy recipes for soup!
More Cabbage Recipes
- Oven roasted cabbage steaks
- Unstuffed Egg Rolls
- Cabbage beef soup
- Corned beef and cabbage
- Cabbage curry stew
- Make sure to check our our entire collection of cabbage recipes!
More recipes with ground beef
- Wendy’s Chili Copycat Recipe
- Ground Beef Stroganoff with Curry
- Crockpot Slow Cooker Chili
- Easy Italian Sloppy Joes
- Make sure to check out all our easy ground beef recipes!
Tools we love
- Enameled dutch oven – if you watch our live cooking show, you’ll see me using this fantastic dutch oven alllll the time. Doesn’t matter the brand, it’s all about the color. Find the colorful dutch oven you love and I bet you’ll find yourself cooking more!
- White ceramic dishware – I love white dishes because you can tell with a glance whether they’ve been cleaned. With five kids, this is a real thing.
- Ceramic soup bowls – there is literally no such thing as too many bowls. I heart bowls. So much.
- Colorful cotton bandanas (we use them as napkins!) – sometime around 2012 I decided I’d had enough of paper napkins and paper towels. We were going through such a ridiculous amount and it felt like I was just throwing money directly into the trash. So, I ordered 100 (yes!) bandannas and here we are five years later still using them! It’s perfect.
- Stainless steel soup ladle – my soup ladle is constantly going missing. Does this happen at other people’s homes?
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced (do you have a garlic press? you should.)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 pounds cooked ground beef
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes canned
- 30 ounces plain tomato sauce canned
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock here's how to make your own
- 1 head cabbage chopped
- 3 cups quick cooking white rice
- In a large stock pot saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt in a small amount of olive oil until mixture is aromatic and onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef and bring to a simmer. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 4 cups chicken stock. Bring back to a simmer.
- Stir in cabbage and cook on medium/low covered about 20 minutes until cabbage is wilted and softened. Stir in rice and cover until rice is ready.
- Stir in remaining chicken stock, as needed until desired consistency is reached. Enjoy!
Does cabbage roll soup freeze well?
Yes, but freeze before adding the rice, otherwise the rice will continue to absorb moisture and you will not have any broth left when it is reheated.
What kind of rice for cabbage roll soup?
We prefer a quick cooking rice.
Should I cook the rice separately for stuffed cabbage soup?
Only if you plan to freeze the soup.