Stuffed Cabbage Soup is a simple hearty recipe with all the delicious flavors of Traditional Stuffed Cabbage Rolls but none of the work!
This Stuffed Cabbage Soup recipe is born of pure laziness. I got it in my head a while back that I really wanted stuffed cabbage for dinner. So I ran to the market and got all the ingredients. I was tired when I got home, so they were shoved in the fridge and forgotten for a few days.
Here and there I would say to myself, “Self, stuffed cabbage sounds delicious today,” and I would reply, “Self, you are so right. But stuffed cabbage is a lot of work, and you are tired.”
Another day would pass. And another, and another. Until suddenly I realized if I didn’t make the stuffed cabbage soon, my meat would be spoiled, and the cabbage would rot. So, I said, “Self! Grab your bootstraps and get thee a movin’.”
The thing is, we had friends coming over that afternoon and I had time to quick clean the house (I have five kids, they’re gross) or make stuffed cabbage. Not both. So I brought the ingredients out to give them a once over.
And realized, there is absolutely no reason for me to slave over cabbage rolling all afternoon when I can stick it all in a pot to cook and end up with the same delicious flavors. So, I did that, my kids vacuumed, and I watched four episodes of Doctor Who. Thusly, my Stuffed Cabbage Soup was born.
Shop our Amazon affiliate links for all your Cabbage Soup needs!
- Enameled dutch oven
- White ceramic dishware
- Ceramic soup bowls
- Colorful cotton bandanas (we use them as napkins!)
- Stainless steel soup ladle
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chicken stock (if you don’t want to make your own)
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
Stuffed Cabbage Soup, Ingredients:
- olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (do you have a garlic press? you should.)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 pounds cooked ground beef
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes, canned
- 30 ounces plain tomato sauce, canned
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock (here’s how to make your own)
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups quick cooking white rice
Stuffed Cabbage Soup, Directions:
- In a large stock pot saute onion, garlic, and seasoned salt in a small amount of olive oil until mixture is aromatic and onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef and bring to a simmer. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 4 cups chicken stock. Bring back to a simmer.
- Stir in cabbage and cook on medium/low covered about 20 minutes until cabbage is wilted and softened.
- Stir in rice and cover until rice is ready. Stir in remaining chicken stock, as needed until desired consistency is reached.