Taco soup made with chicken (or ground beef), beans, corn, and seasonings is a quick and flavorful meal that our whole family loves!
This easy taco soup recipe is about to be a staple in your home! Get a dinner that everyone wants on the table in less than 30 minutes. And enjoy a batch of quick oreo fluff for dessert!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Taco Soup Ingredients
- Black beans – We like to use canned black beans, but you can also use your own pre-cooked black beans. Do not use uncooked dry beans.
- Kernel corn – Canned or frozen is fine. Fresh is also delicious.
- Enchilada sauce – Canned enchilada sauce is delicious, but it’s also easy to make homemade enchilada sauce! Alternatively, you can use a packet of taco seasoning + 2 cups of water.
- Garlic – Minced.
- Chicken stock – You can make chicken stock at home, or use canned from the market. Bouillon cubes + water work well too.
- Chicken – We like chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Optional garnishes – Broken taco shells, tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, green chilis, green onion, diced tomatoes, pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos, pico de gallo.
How do you make taco soup? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, in large pot or deep skillet on the stove top, bring beans, corn, enchilada sauce, garlic, water, and stock to a light boil, stirring frequently.
⭐ Next, add chicken and simmer on low until chicken is cooked through.
⭐ Then, carefully remove chicken breasts and chop or shred. Return chicken to pot.
⭐ Finally, while soup is cooking, put tortilla chips or broken taco shells on a baking sheet and cook until hot and extra crispy.
Crock pot taco soup
To make this chicken taco soup in a slow cooker, add beans, corn, enchilada sauce, garlic, water, and stock to the slow cooker. Stir, then add chicken breasts. Cook on low for up to 10 hours or high for up to 6 hours. Remove chicken, shred, and return it to crock.
Instant pot taco soup
For instant pot taco soup, add beans, corn, enchilada sauce, garlic, water, and stock to the pot. Stir, then add chicken breasts. Cover and turn to sealing. Set pot for 5 minutes and then do a controlled quick release. Remove chicken, shred, and return it to crock.
Can you make easy taco soup ahead of time?
Yes! This is actually one of my favorite lunch prep recipes. Fix it on Sunday and enjoy it as a quick and healthy lunch all week long. Yum!
Can I use ground beef or ground chicken?
You can absolutely use ground meat rather than whole chicken breasts. Do do so, brown the beef (or chicken) in the pot or skillet first. Drain off fat, if desired, then continue the recipe as written.
Do you drain the beans for taco soup?
We prefer the beans drained, but this is a personal choice. If you’re watching your salt/sodium intake you may want to drain and rinse the beans before adding them to the soup.
Leftovers and storage
How long is taco soup good?
Leftovers will keep up to a week in the refrigerator. For best results, store in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave on high power or on the stove top over medium heat.
Can you freeze taco soup?
Absolutely! Allow the soup to cool, then store in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months. Make sure to leave headroom in the container for expansion.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or directly on the stove top while heating up.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions for the best taco soup
What else can you add to taco soup?
This recipe is a great one for finishing up leftovers. Try adding chopped onion, bell pepper, black olives, or diced tomato. Pinto beans or kidney beans are delicious if you don’t have black beans (or try it with a combo of all three!).
How do you make it spicy?
My daughter and I like a little kick to our soup so we’ll add pickled jalapenos, or crushed red pepper to our bowls. If you want to make the whole pot spicy, try adding one or two diced jalapeno peppers to the soup while it cooks or some ground chipotle to taste (I like smoked!).
How do you thicken taco soup?
The easiest wat to thicken your soup is to add a cornstarch slurry at the end. Whisk together equal parts cornstarch and cold water then stir it into the simmering soup until you reach the desired consistency.
I like to work in 1 tablespoon starch + 1 tablespoon water increments. Do not add straight cornstarch to your hot soup or it will clump.
What to eat with taco soup (recipe suggestions)
This is a meal on it’s own, but I like to serve ours with sour cream, toasted crushed taco shells (or tortilla chips), guacamole, fresh diced tomatoes (or pico de gallo) and shredded cheese. For dessert something like tropical fruit salad or pineapple ice cream is perfect.
More delicious Mexican inspired recipes
- Beef enchiladas
- Baked tacos recipe
- Taco salad recipe
- Chicken taco casserole
- Taco bell Mexican pizza
- Chicken tostada recipe
- See all our Mexican recipes!
Other soups to enjoy
- Chicken tortilla soup
- Beer cheese soup
- Lasagna soup
- Stuffed pepper soup recipe
- See all our easy soup recipes!
Tools we love
- Enameled dutch oven – I love that this can go from stove top to oven. And 6 quarts is the perfect size!
- Large soup ladle – No dinky soup ladles allowed in our house!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Taco Soup
- 1 can black beans 15 ounces (drained)
- 2 cups or 1 can, 15 ounces kernel corn
- Enchilada sauce 10 ounces (alternately use 1 packet of taco seasoning + 2 cups of water)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large chicken breasts about 1 pound
- Optional garnishes: broken taco shells or tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, fresh cilantro
- In large pot or deep skillet, bring beans, corn, enchilada sauce, garlic, and stock to a light boil on medium heat, stirring frequently. Add chicken breasts.
- Simmer on low, covered, about 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and chop or shred. Return chicken to pot and stir.
- Optional: while soup is cooking, put tortilla chips on a baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes, until hot and extra crispy.
- Serve soup and top with desired garnishes.
Click the button above to save this recipe!