This Whole Roasted Chicken with Tomato Artichoke Sauce recipe is a simple and delicious meal idea that can be made in the oven, slow cooker, or instant pot!
This unbelievably simple Whole Roasted Chicken with Tomato Artichoke Sauce dish will make you feel like a culinary rock star. Go ahead and tell everyone you slaved away for hours on dinner. They’ll believe it! One pot, one hour(ish), equals a whole lot of yummy. I served ours with some whole grain penne. Doesn’t get much easier!
Whole Roasted Chicken with Tomato Artichoke Sauce Ingredients:
- One whole chicken (whatever size you need to feed your troops)
- Canned diced tomatoes, 28 ounces, drained
- 1 cup marinated artichoke quarters, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic (I used jarred)
- a pinch each of dried: basil, oregano, and parsley
- Optional: 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Optional: 1/3 – 1/2 cup heavy cream
Whole Roasted Chicken with Tomato Artichoke Sauce Directions:
- Clean and season your chicken, set aside. (Not familiar with the best way to do this? Check out my article on How to Roast a Great Chicken or Turkey!)
- In a large covered roaster combine the remaining ingredients (not the optional ingredients) and give a quick mix with your fork.
- Place the chicken breast side down in the roaster, cover and roast at 375 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken, check for doneness with a meat thermometer).
- Remove the chicken and set aside to rest for ten minutes. While the chicken is resting, use an immersion blender to blend what remains in the roaster into a sauce. (Alternately you could pour it into your upright blender and puree. Just be careful because it will be very hot). If the sauce is too tart for your liking, stir in brown sugar in quarter teaspoon increments, tasting as you go.
- Optional step: Want to make the sauce downright sinful? Stir in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of heavy cream.*
- Serve chicken with sauce and your choice of sides. Enjoy!