These Killer Cupcakes for Halloween were developed in partnership with Brand Meets Blog. All opinions and recipes belong to Mama Loves Food. We only work with brands we love!
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again, but hey hey - Halloween is SO fun! My kids and I had a blast making these Killer Cupcakes and delivering them to the neighbors. We originally dubbed them murder cupcakes, but that was maybe a little too macabre and didn't have the double entendre of killing it (murder) and killing it (doing awesome). So, Killer Cupcakes for Halloween, it is!
I love that you can make any recipe Halloween themed by adding a touch of gore or silliness. There's no need to learn an entirely new repertoire of recipes just for the holiday, instead grab some fun decorations and give new life to your gold standards.
We used one of my favorite (and really simple) cupcake recipes, the Apple Cider with Salted Caramel Frosting. I figure, you can't throw a pumpkin in October without hitting a Halloween movie that features an apple orchard, so it seemed appropriate. We used red gel food coloring and some fun candy axes to make them horror themed.
Not everyone wanted a gruesome cupcake (my six year old is a touch squeamish), so we also made some silly monster cupcakes with sugar eyeballs. I think they were great to offset the horror cakes and make sure the neighbors knew we were being silly, not threatening. Hah!
The thing about having five kids (p.s. I have five kids) is that time is so (so, so, so) limited. I think this is true for any number of kids because parenting is hard, yo. So, I'm happy to take my shortcuts where I can. Also limited? My budget. If you watch our show or have been hanging out with me here for any length of time, you know I'm a Walmart loving mom. And recently I've discovered the joy that is Walmart.com. Holy streamlining! Halloween savings was so easy this year. And my kids *love* getting mail. Okay, let's be real, so do I!
Here are the Halloween items from Walmart.com that I'm loving for this year!
- Wilton Royal Icing Knife Decorations (pictured in our recipe!)
- Wilton Candy Eyeballs, Large
- Witches Brew Drink Dispenser (perfect for a Halloween brew!)
- Wilton Graveyard Decorating Kit
- Wilton Royal Icing "Chopped Fingers" Decorations
- Jack-o-Lantern Cupcake Stand
- Spiderweb Halloween Cupcake Wrappers
- Wilton Green & Yellow Candy Eyeballs
Killer Cupcakes for Halloween, Ingredients:
- Your favorite cupcake and frosting recipe - we used the Apple Cider Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting.
- Awesome Halloween themed decorations (we ordered ours from Walmart.com!)
Killer Cupcakes for Halloween, Directions:
- Make your cupcakes as you normally would, then when they've cooled completely, use the Halloween themed decorations to make them awesome!
You may also enjoy: