Pumpkin Donuts with Maple Nutmeg Glaze is the perfect simple recipe to enjoy in the season of ALL THINGS PUMPKIN!
I brought my husband a plate of these Pumpkin Donuts after maybe being a touch hard on him for something that did not require the level of ire he received. My crankiness was well earned, but not by him.
Regardless, apology donuts usually work well, and thankfully in this case that rule proved true. In fact he said, “if folks follow you’re recipe, I think they’ll be very very happy after taking a bite of these.” And why wouldn’t you follow the recipe.
It’s only three ingredients and a couple of spices. So simple. And so delicious. And if you’re into glazes? This Maple Nutmeg glaze is gonna knock your socks off.
Pumpkin Donut Ingredients
Vanilla cake mix
Pure maple syrup
Pumpkin Donuts, Directions:
Combine donut ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
Pour batter into a gallon bag with the corner cut or a piping bag, and pipe batter into lightly greased donut pans.
Bake at approximately 13 – 15 minutes.
Allow to cool at least ten minutes before removing from pan.
Add sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon to a bowl.
Stir in cream, then maple syrup until you reach desired consistency.
Drizzle over donuts, allow glaze to set (or don’t) and enjoy!
More recipes like pumpkin donuts
Apple Walnut Fritter Bread – This Apple Walnut Fritter bread is perfect for breakfast or dessert. But whatever meal you serve it at, make sure to have a delicious piping hot cup of coffee to go with it.
Whipped Maple Cinnamon Butter – And while we’re on the subject of pancakes, how about smothering those freshly plated pancakes with a generous pat of this whipped maple cinnamon butter.
Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal – But hey, some of us aren’t morning people. /raises hand/ And that’s where our Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal comes to the rescue. Bake it the night before, and then let the kids serve themselves in the morning!
Normally when I make a big batch of sweets like this, after my family has had a go, I deliver the excess up and down the block so as keep myself away from temptation. When I began packing these up in containers, I was met with dagger eyes and thought maybe just this once we could keep the sweets at home.
The kids and hubby were very (very, very) appreciative, and they didn’t last but a couple days so my willpower wasn’t tested long at all. Hah!
When we made these Pumpkin Spice Donuts on the live show (you can catch the replay here if you missed it!), some folks told me to add cinnamon to the donut batter, and others told me to skip it in the glaze.
I didn’t in either case and am confident we made the right decision.
Pumpkin donut making tools
- Pure Pumpkin Puree, 15 ounces – Make sure you get pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. This will make a very big difference in flavor and texture!
- Wilton Nonstick 6-Cavity Donut Pan – Wilton also makes a mini donut pan that is super cute. Perfect for making kid sized donuts.
- Powdered Sugar – What’s a donut without powdered sugar? A bagel. Haha. No, but really.
- McCormick Ground Nutmeg – I love using nutmeg in everything from fall desserts, to coffee, and even soups and macaroni!
- McCormick Ground Ginger – My mom is a huge fan of pickled ginger, but I’ll take my ginger in cookies or donuts any day of the week that ends in y!
- McCormick Ground Cinnamon – I like to buy the really big containers because we go through cinnamon quickly. Mostly on cinnamon toast bread, but once a year we make these delicious smelling cinnamon applesauce ornaments too!
How to make Pumpkin Donuts
Pumpkin Donuts, Ingredients:
- one box vanilla cake mix
- one can pumpkin 15 oz
- one egg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Maple Nutmeg Glaze, Ingredients:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- up to 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Combine donut ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter into a gallon bag with the corner cut or a piping bag, and pipe batter into lightly greased donut pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 13 - 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool at least ten minutes before removing from pan.
Maple Nutmeg Glaze, Directions:
- Add sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon to a bowl.
- Stir in cream, then maple syrup until you reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle over donuts, allow glaze to set (or don't) and enjoy!
You may also enjoy: