This Clay Cooker Roasted Chicken & Couscous is a yummy stand-by in our house. Very easy, very versatile. If you’re not a couscous fan, you can substitute brown (or white) rice! The couscous (or rice) has a fried rice type of flavor from cooking in the chicken drippings. It’s fantastic!
p.s. If you don’t have a clay cooker? GET ONE!!! Seriously, they’re amazing.
Clay Cooker Roasted Chicken & Couscous Ingredients:
- One whole chicken (or pieces if you prefer)
- Whole wheat couscous (or rice)
- All purpose seasoning (I use Aunt Cora’s Soulful Seasoning)
- Soy sauce
- One small onion
- Chicken broth
- Optional Ingredients: diced carrots, diced onion, diced tomato (I use canned, NOT drained)
Clay Cooker Roasted Chicken & Couscous Directions:
- Prepare clay cooker by soaking in water for 15 – 20 minutes, then remove clay cooker from water and line the bottom of clay cooker with
couscous (as much or little as you want, I usually do enough to serve 8
so we have leftovers).
- Liberally season chicken UNDER the skin with your all purpose seasoning (or salt & pepper).
- Cut the onion in half and place it in the chicken’s cavity, then place chicken breast side DOWN on top of the couscous.
- Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of chicken broth (or water) over exposed couscous
(not quite) enough to fully hydrate the couscous, because the drippings
from the chicken will do this, you want just enough so the couscous
doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom of your cooker). *** Add optional ingredients here, on top of the couscous or rice.
- Liberally sprinkle chicken and couscous with soy sauce, cover clay cooker and place in a COLD oven.
- Turn the temperature to 475 degrees and bake for about 45 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken). Stir the
couscous a bit to make sure it’s being evenly cooked/soaked. You may
need to add a little more chicken broth (or water) at this point. Cover and return to oven for another 15 – 30 minutes, checking doneness with a meat thermometer.
- If you like crispy skin, remove the cover for the last 5 minutes and switch to broiler (but watch closely!).
- Remove chicken and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Fluff couscous and SERVE!