Our Club Sandwich is easy to make, delicious and filling. You’ll love this club sandwich for any meal of the day!
The Club Sandwich is a delicious staple lunch item at most restaurants – so why not make one at home? We love this sandwich with layers of toasted bread, meat, and veggies. Yum! Serve your club sandwich with homemade refrigerator pickles and a cup of broccoli cheese soup (then finish it off with some peanut butter cookies).
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Club Sandwich Ingredients
- Bread – Traditionally white sandwich bread is called for in this recipe, make sure to toast your bread for the perfect club sandwich.
- Meat – I like a combination of sliced turkey and slice ham cold cuts, but you could use rotisserie chicken, or leftover ham or turkey from last night’s dinner too.
- Mayonnaise – There’s a lot of deliciously toasty bread in this recipe and mayonnaise does a great job of balancing the crunch with some creamy moisture.
- Tomato – Fresh bright red tomato because it looks good and tastes good.
- Bacon – We make our bacon in the oven ahead of time and then keep it in the freezer. I usually zap it for a minute or two before adding to the sandwich. I like mine extra crispy!
- Avocado – This is a slightly controversial addition to the club sandwich, but we are totally Team Avocado in our home. Okay, that’s a lie, my daughter and I are team avocado, but I feel like that’s enough.
- Lettuce – Typically if you order a club sandwich at a restaurant it will come with iceberg lettuce, but my personal favorite for sandwiches is butter lettuce. It’s gorgeously bright green and tastes great.
- Onion – A few thin slices of red onion (it should really be called purple onion), or better yet pickled onions, makes this club sandwich next level.
How Do You Make a Club Sandwich?
⭐ First, toast bread slices to your liking – we prefer very toasty so they have a nice crunch to counterbalance the soft meat and toppings. For this recipe we used Udi’s Gluten Free Multigrain Sandwich Bread.
⭐ Next, layer in the following order: toast, mayonnaise, lunch meat, cheese, toast, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, bacon, avocado, onion, toast.
⭐ Finally, cut into triangle shaped quarters and spear each quarter with a toothpick to hold it all together.
What Bread to Use in a Club Sandwich?
Traditionally, white bread is used in a club sandwich, but sometimes we’ll serve it on a baguette of French bread to mix things up!
What Meat in a Club Sandwich?
For our club sandwich, and most traditional club sandwiches, we used a combination of turkey and ham cold cuts. The great thing about this recipe though is that you can mix it up however you like. Here are a few fun ideas:
- Ham (lunch meat or leftover slow cooked ham)
- Turkey (lunch meat or leftover cooked turkey)
- Rotisserie chicken
- Roast Beef
- Pulled pork
- Fried egg
Is a Club Sandwich Hot?
A club sandwich is not hot, but it is usually served on toasted bread. According to legend (okay, not really legend), the club sandwich was originally served hot, but these days only the bread gets a toasting.
Where Was the Club Sandwich Invented?
Not everyone agrees, but the most prevalent theory is that the club sandwich was invented around 1894 at the Saratoga Club House, an exclusive gambling joint in Saratoga Springs, New York.
Other folks believe it was developed by the chef at the Union Club of New York City, also in the late 1800s.
🖤 Need another way to use your leftover ham? Try our Scalloped Potatoes with Ham Casserole Recipe! 🖤
More sandwich recipes
- Chicken Parm Sandwiches
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Crab Salad Sandwich
- Roast Beef Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- See all our sandwich recipes!
Club Sandwich Making Tools
- Santuko knife – My favorite knife for cutting vegetables! This knife is the perfect size and shape, handles great, and is super reasonably priced. Also, I just love that it comes in fun colors!
- End grain cutting board – This is my absolute favorite cutting board and the one that I get the most compliments on. And p.s. I have a lot of cutting boards. It really is absolutely stunning, and knows how to take a beating. We use our end grain board every single day!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make a Club Sandwich
- Bread three slices per sandwich
- Meat we used ham and turkey deli meat
- Tomato sliced
- Bacon crispy
- Avocado sliced
- Lettuce I like butter lettuce
- Onion red thinly sliced or pickled onions
- Toast bread slices to your liking - we prefer very toasty so they have a nice crunch to counterbalance the soft meat and toppings.
- Layer in this order: Toast, mayonnaise, lunch meat, cheese, toast, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, bacon, avocado, onion, toast.
- Cut into triangle shaped quarters and spear each quarter with a toothpick to hold them together.
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Need breakfast too? Try our blueberry pancake recipe!
This post was originally sponsored by Udi’s® Gluten Free. All comments and opinions are entirely my own.