Enchilada Casserole is a delicious easy to make dinner that can be prepared ahead and frozen for convenience. We make ours a chicken enchilada casserole with red enchilada sauce and lots of cheese.
Enchilada casserole is one of the first recipes I made and published here way back in 2009. And while it’s undergone some revisions for simplification, the end result is still the same delicious chicken enchilada casserole!
We love to serve it with some sour cream, yellow rice and black bean soup!
How do you make enchilada casserole?
To make chicken enchilada casserole, we use large flour tortillas, chicken breast, green bell peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, cheese, and enchilada sauce.
Pack it all into a large roasting pan or casserole dish, and bake for an hour.
Can you freeze chicken enchilada casserole?
Yes, you can freeze chicken enchilada casserole! This recipe serves about ten, so if you’re cooking for a small group, it’s a great idea to make the casserole in two smaller casserole dishes, then freeze one. I like to freeze ours before baking.
If you’re cooking for a crowd or have a giant family like mine, go ahead and double the recipe.
How long do you bake chicken enchilada casserole?
Once everything is cooked and assembled (we use already cooked chicken, peppers, and onions), then you’ll bake the casserole for about an hour.
The cook time, if you start with raw ingredients, is two hours but this can be cut down significantly if you start with pre-cooked chicken.
I like to have cooked chicken on hand all the time, but a rotisserie chicken would work in a pinch as well.
What goes well with chicken enchiladas?
Also, corn or sweet corn soup! Can you tell I love soup? Mmmmmm.
Recipes Like Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Black Bean Soup – Black bean soup is the perfect side dish to go with your yummy enchilada casserole! And it’s super ridiculously easy to make without sacrificing any flavor!
- Roasted Restaurant Style Salsa – Have you every wondered what the trick is to making your homemade salsa taste like the stuff at restaurants! The trick is to roast your veggies before blending it all up. Use a sheet pan and a food processor to make easy work of it!
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers – Ohhhhhh emmmm geeee! These Mexican stuffed peppers are totes the bomb. Make a bunch and freeze some for later.
More Recipes Like Enchilada Casserole!
- Chicken Nachos – Pile these suckers high! The super secret is to use salsa stirred right in with the chicken to keep it moist and tender. Also, layer, layer, layer!
- Chicken Taco Casserole – The rice cooks right in the casserole dish with this easy chicken taco casserole recipe. You can put the whole thing together in just a few minutes. Maybe make a batch of sweet corn soup while it’s cooking!
- Deep Dish Mexican Pizza Bake – If you love Taco Bell Mexican Pizzas, you’re going to go crazy for this Mexican Pizza Bake. Layers of tortillas, refried beans, tomatoes, and cheese!
- Easy Taco Salad – Forget your run of the mill garden salad! This Taco Salas is where it’s at. You could go Taco Tuesday crazy and serve this salad with your Chicken Enchilada Casserole!
Tools for Making Enchilada Casserole
- Roasting pan – This is the Ikea roasting pan that you see us use on the live show all the time, and it’s pictured here too in the image with the chicken and peppers. Love this pan!
- Garlic Press & Chopper – Best tool evvvvah. Love this garlic press, it’s so nice for making super quick minced garlic. No more mincing with a knife for me!
- Stainless Steel Spatula – There’s nothing worse than trying to grab the perfect serving of casserole from your dish and having the plastic spatula bend. Stainless steel spatulas are where it’s at!
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls – Classic, basic, mixing bowls that everyone should have in your kitchen. You’ve seen me use them on the cooking show at least seventy bajillion time. Ish.
- Solid wood cutting board – P.S. I love cutting boards. I have a massive collection of cutting boards. Loveeee them.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Enchilada Casserole with Chicken
- 10 - 12 large flour tortillas
- 2 cans diced tomato drained
- 4-5 chicken breasts
- 4 small yellow onions chopped
- 1 heaping TBS minced garlic
- 5 green peppers cut in strips
- 1 can red enchilada sauce 15 oz
- 1/2 lb Mexican shredded cheese mix
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Add peppers, onions, garlic, and a drizzle of olive oil to a large roasting pan. Toss gently. Lay chicken breasts over top of peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake on center rack of oven at 425 degrees for about 1 hour, until chicken is cooked through and peppers and onions are soft.
- Drain off excess liquid (or save to use as the broth base in Black Bean Soup or Tortilla Soup!), and place peppers, onions, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Shred chicken, then add to the bowl as well. Also add 2/3rds of the cheese (you want to reserve 1/3 for the top of the casserole), and the drained tomatoes. Stir so ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Lightly grease your casserole dish with olive oil, then stuff each tortilla with an even amount of enchilada filling. I like to make mine very full, and tuck the ends in burrito-style so the filling doesn't ooze out. Place in casserole dish.
- When your dish is full and you're out of stuffing/tortillas (no worries if it's a tight fit!), Pour the entire can of enchilada sauce over top. Use a spoon to coax it into the nooks and crannies.
- Top with the remaining cheese and pop back in the oven at 350 degrees for about 60 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, fresh pico de gallo or roasted salsa, and enjoy!