Green bean casserole made with canned green beans, cream of something soup, and crispy fried onions is a holiday comfort food must-have!
This is a recipe you’ll want on the table for more than just holiday meals! It’s nostalgic and delicious and my daughter always asks me to make a double batch so there will be plenty of leftovers.
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- Green beans – We like the French style green beans (my kids think they’re fancy), but any cut of canned green bean will work!
- Mushrooms – I use canned mushrooms in keeping with the canned food casserole theme, but you can use fresh mushrooms if you prefer. Or you can skip them altogether if you’re not into them.
- Cream of bacon soup – Cream of bacon soup adds that delicious hint of bacon flavor that brings this dish over the top. If you want to keep it vegetarian though, go ahead and swap for cream of celery instead.
- Worcestershire sauce – Adds that extra bit of umami! If you don’t have any on hand, try using soy sauce instead.
- Crispy fried onions – It’s not a proper casserole without delicious crispy fried onions. Mmm mmm mmmm!
How do you make green bean casserole? (Step-by-step)
⭐ First, combine green beans, mushrooms, soup, worcestershire sauce, and crispy onions. Mix well.
⭐ Next, press into casserole dish and bake.
⭐ Finally, sprinkle remaining fried onions on top, and return to oven until onions are hot and crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make my green bean casserole ahead of time?
You can prep the dish a day in advance, but make sure not to add the crispy topping until the last five minutes of baking.
I know it may be tempting to just toss them on there and be done, but you’ll be glad you waited when they’re crispy and perfect at serving time.
Can you freeze green bean casserole?
You can freeze the casserole for up to a month ahead. As discussed above, you want to wait on adding the topping until the last few minutes of baking.
Prepare the dish in a freezer safe pan (I like to use disposable pans so my nice cookware isn’t out of commission), place saran wrap over the surface of the casserole, and then cover tightly with foil or secure lid.
How many cups are in a can of green beans?
A 15 ounce can of green beans contains just shy of two cups of green beans.
Complete your meal (What goes with green bean casserole)
For the perfect holiday meal, make sure you’re serving this alongside our homemade cranberry sauce recipe, pumpkin drop biscuits, oven baked sweet potatoes, a juicy roasted turkey, and classic pumpkin pie!
More great side dishes
See all our side dish recipes!
More awesome casserole recipes
See all our easy casserole ideas!
Tools we love
- 6.5 Quart dutch oven – This enameled cast iron dutch oven can go from stove top to oven, and look beautiful doing it. Perfect for chilis, roasts, breads, and stews. Mine is yellow, what color will you choose?
- Le Creuset braising pan – We talked a little bit about this one already. It’s the pumped up version of the Calphalon everyday pan. A little heavier, a little taller, a little nicer. And if you have a little more money to spend, then this is for sure the one to get. It’s a beautiful pan that you’ll use day in and day out.
Love this recipe? Join Us For More!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 cans green beans drained (15 ounce cans)
- 1 can sliced mushrooms drained (8 ounces)
- 1 can cream of bacon soup 10 ounces
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups crispy fried onions about 5 ounces
- Combine green beans, mushrooms, soup, worcestershire sauce, and 1 cup of crispy onions. Mix well.
- Press into casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of fried onions on top of casserole, and return to oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- If you want to make the dish vegetarian, substitute Cream of Bacon Soup for Cream of Celery Soup.