My most vivid memory from the seventh grade is making ice cream in science class. Food as science?! Coolest lesson ever. And now I’m going to share that experience with my kids. And you! So without further adieu, I give you ice cream in a bag.
Ice Cream in a Bag Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Goodies (we used crumbled Oreos, but you can add whatever you like!)
- 1 gallon freezer bag
- 1 sandwich sized bag
- 6 Tablespoons of rock salt (also referred to as ice cream salt)
- Ice cubes
Ice Cream in a Bag Directions:
- Fill gallon freezer bag 1/2 way with ice cubes and pour rock salt on top.
- In sandwich bag, combine half & half, sugar, vanilla and goodies. Let out as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Put sandwich bag into freezer bag and seal the freezer bag. Shake vigorously for approximately 5 minutes, until ice cream has formed.
- Remove ice cream bags and wipe carefully (or rinse quickly with very cold water), then serve!
*Note: Each sandwich bag will make about 2/3 Cup scoop of ice cream. You can do up to two sandwich bags per gallon freezer bag.