Meatball Soup is a simple recipe idea that tastes fantastic and comes together in less than fifteen minutes. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner solution!
This post is sponsored by Swanson®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Meatball Soup is my go-to dinner solution on busy school nights. It checks all the boxes in one bowl and my kids and husband love it.
Meatball Soup Ingredients
- Beef broth – A lot of the deep rich flavor in this soup comes from the use of beef broth as the base rather than water. We used Swanson® Beef Broth in our recipe.
- Olive oil – I like a full bodied fragrant olive oil for this recipe, but any type of vegetable oil or rendered fat will work in a pinch.
- Garlic – Fresh is great if you have it, but don’t hesitate to use the jarred kind in the fridge if you don’t. This is an easy weeknight meal!
- Onion – My preference is sweet yellow onion, or white onion.
- Ground pepper – If you keep a pepper grinder on hand, use fresh, otherwise just regular pepper is fine!
- Salt – I am partial to kosher salt or pink Himalayan salt. It’s probably just a phase.
- Tomatoes – You could use fresh tomatoes, but I find a can of petite diced tomatoes works perfectly in this recipe. And no need to drain it!
- Mixed vegetables – I keep a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green beans) in the freezer all the time just for occasions like this. You could also use canned or fresh.
- Meatballs – I typically use a bag of frozen meatballs in our meatball soup, but sometimes I make turkey meatballs.
How Do You Make Meatball Soup
First, saute garlic, onion, pepper, and salt in olive oil until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Next, add tomatoes and simmer.
Then, add beef broth and bring back to a simmer.
Finally, add meatballs and vegetables, cover and continue to cook until heated through.
Meatball Soup with Swanson Beef Broth
We love using Swanson® Broth in our cooking! Swanson® Broth is the perfect place to start when you want to create a comforting recipe. We’re showing you how to use Swanson Broth in a soup today, but it’s also great in stews, meat and side dishes like potatoes, rice, vegetables, and even savory breads!
We use Swanson® Broths on the regular, did you know that Swanson® Chicken Broth is America’s #1 Broth!
Meatball Soup Variations
★ Add a cup or two of instant rice for a rice and meatball soup.
★ Saute your onions and garlic with a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and add sweet peppers or chopped spinach for an Italian meatball soup.
★ Toss in a packet of taco seasoning and a can of black beans for a Mexican meatball soup.
★ Add some noodles for pasta meatball soup.
★ Swap the beef broth for Swanson® Chicken Broth and chicken or turkey meatballs for a lightened up version.
Can You Use Frozen Meatballs in Meatball Soup
You can use frozen meatballs in Meatball Soup! In fact, it’s my preferred way of making Meatball Soup because it’s so easy. This recipe comes together in about 15 minutes and will comfortably feed a family of four for dinner.
It’s the perfect quick weeknight meal.
Can You Use Frozen Vegetables in Meatball Soup
You can use frozen vegetables in Meatball Soup – again, this is also my preferred way to make the soup. We always keep a huge bag of mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans) in the freezer for recipes like this.
Can You Use Canned Vegetables in Meatball Soup
You can use canned vegetables in meatball soup – they will not be as vibrant in color or firm in texture as fresh vegetables or frozen vegetables, but they will still taste great.
Is Meatball Soup Healthy
Meatball soup provides good nutrition and is chock full of vegetables, vitamins, minerals, and fiber, as well as protein from the meatballs. If you want a lower calorie version of the soup, use turkey meatballs.
Meatball soup is dairy free and, depending on the recipe you use, it can also be gluten free, paleo, and keto compliant.
Can You Make Meatball Soup Ahead of Time
You can make Meatball Soup ahead of time. Meatball soup will last in the refrigerator for about three days, so it’s a perfect recipe for make ahead lunches or quick dinners.
Can You Freeze Meatball Soup
You can freeze Meatball Soup if you have leftovers that won’t get eaten right away, or if you want to prepare it more than three days in advance. Allow the soup to cool for about 15 minutes, then store it in an airtight freezer safe container.
Meatball soup will stay good in an upright freezer for about 6 months, or in a deep freezer for as long as a year.
How Do You Reheat Meatball Soup
You can reheat Meatball Soup on the stove top over medium heat, or using a microwave. A serving of refrigerated meatball soup will take about 1 – 3 minutes to heat up in the microwave, and frozen will take 3 – 5 minutes
What to Serve with Meatball Soup
Meatball Soup can easily be a meal in itself, but I usually like to serve it with bread or potatoes, and of course something sweet to finish. Here are a few of my favorites.
More Like Meatball Soup
I am a total soup junkie – here are some more soup recipes I think you’ll love – and bonus, you can start them off with Swanson® Broth!
How to Make Meatball Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 15 ounces (not drained)
- 4 cups beef broth (we used Swanson®Beef Broth)
- 3 cups mixed vegetables or 3/4ths cup each: carrots, peas, green beans, corn
- 1 package meatballs about 25 bite size
- Saute garlic, onion, pepper, and salt in olive oil until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add beef broth and bring back to a simmer.
- Add meatballs and vegetables, cover and continue to cook until heated through.