Spaghetti carbonara made with al dente pasta, parmesan cheese, eggs, and bacon is a delicious dinner idea that’s so easy to make!
This spaghetti carbonara recipe is simple to make and so fully of cheesy bacon goodness. It’s bound to be a family favorite in your home too! Serve it with air fryer asparagus and raspberry cheesecake cookies!
Click the button above to save this recipe!
Spaghetti Carbonara Ingredients
- Pasta – We use spaghetti for this recipe (as the name indicates) but honestly, you can use whatever shape pasta you love!
- Bacon – Thick cut bacon, diced.
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic is definitely best for this recipe.
- Eggs – Large, brought to room temperature.
- Cheese – Grated parmesan cheese. Go for a higher quality parmesan if you can.
- Spices – Salt and fresh ground black pepper.
How do you make spaghetti carbonara? (step-by-step)
⭐ First, cook the pasta to al dente. While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the eggs, grated parmesan and salt and pepper. Set aside.
⭐ Next, in a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Set bacon aside, leaving some bacon grease in the skillet. Saute garlic in bacon grease until fragrant. Add the pasta to the garlic in the skillet, and toss to coat.
⭐ Then, add the egg and parmesan mixture to the spaghetti noodles, toss to coat thoroughly. Stir in the reserved pasta water a little bit at a time, until your desired consistency is reached.
⭐ Finally, stir in the cooked bacon.
Scroll down to the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this article for ingredient measurements and detailed cooking instructions.
What kind of meat in spaghetti carbonara?
Guanciale is the traditional meat used in this recipe, but a good thick cut bacon is what we use since it’s easy to find at any market and has a similar flavor.
What kind of pasta in carbonara recipe?
Spaghetti is what the recipe official calls for, but any shape pasta will work fine. I personally am fond of angel hair, and my kids love elbow noodles.
Does spaghetti carbonara contain cream?
Classic carbonara does not contain cream; the sauce is made from eggs and cheese.
Storage and leftovers
How long does spaghetti carbonara last?
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
How do you reheat?
To reheat leftover spaghetti carbonara bring a small amount of water (just enough to cover the bottom of your pan) to a simmer over medium heat in a skillet.
Add pasta and stir with tongs to loosen. Continue cooking just until pasta is heated through.
Tips, tricks, and frequently asked questions
✅ Make sure to use fresh cracked black pepper both in the recipe and on top before serving.
✅ The better the quality cheese you use, the more delicious your result will be.
✅ Try it with pecorino romano cheese or a blend of parmesan and pecorino!
✅ Top with red pepper flakes for a kick.
What to eat with spaghetti carbonara (serving suggestions)
I love to serve a heavy pasta dish along with a delicious green salad like this butternut squash salad or our shaved brussels sprouts salad. For dessert try an easy pineapple dump cake or peanut butter pie.
More delicious pasta dishes
- Pumpkin pasta with sausage
- Broccoli mac and cheese bake
- Chicken spaghetti recipe
- Tuna casserole recipe
- See all our delicious pasta recipes!
Other Italian recipes to try
- Toasted ravioli recipe
- Antipasto platter
- Caprese chicken recipe
- Air fryer mozzarella sticks
- Baked ravioli
- Chicken alfredo bake
- See all our Italian inspired recipes!
Tools we love
- Enameled cast iron pot – I love this pot for our one pot meals, soups, and so much more!
- Wooden spatula – My wooden spatulas are my absolute favorite to stir with. I don’t know why, but I feel like a real cook when I use them.
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make Spaghetti Carbonara
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 6 slices thick cut bacon chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & fresh ground black pepper
- Cook pasta to al dente, according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving one cup of the water.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the eggs, grated parmesan and some salt and pepper (as it suits your tastes). Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside, leaving about 2 tablespoons of grease in the skillet.
- Saute garlic in the skillet with bacon grease and cook until fragrant (30 - 60 seconds). Add the hot pasta to the garlic in the skillet, and toss to coat. Pour in the egg and parmesan mixture and toss with the noodles, coating thoroughly.
- If desired, slowly stir in the reserved pasta water a little bit at a time, until your desired consistency is reached. Stir in the cooked bacon. Top with fresh cracked black pepper before serving.
⭐Save This Recipe⭐ Send it to your email!
I consent to receive email from this site 💌
Click the button above to save this recipe!