I've had flank steak at friends' homes and in restaurants before, but have never attempted it myself. Until yesterday. Because experimenting on a house full of guests is always the way to go. Right? This recipe is bits and pieces of about a half dozen different recipes I found and liked around the internet. Plus, a little bit of my very own love. This is awesome by itself, but would also taste fantastic in fajitas!
UPDATE: This post originally appeared in 2011, but I'm giving it a refresher because it's summer and yay for flank steak! I still love this recipe - my favorite way to eat it is in a fajita bowl with grilled peppers and fresh guacamole!
The BEST Flank Steak Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard (the kind with whole mustard seeds, I use Grey Poupon)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 pounds flank steak
The BEST Flank Steak Marinade and Grilling Directions:
- Add all ingredients except flank steak to blender and run until smooth, reserve 1 cup for basting and dipping.
- Pour remaining marinade over steak and refrigerate in a shallow pan or ziploc bag for at LEAST 24 hours. (I like to freeze mine in the marinade for later!)
- Cook on a medium heat grill, basting continually, for 5 minutes on each side, or until you reach desired doneness. (This can also be done under the broiler in your oven).
- Allow to rest 2 minutes before cutting.