Creamy Sweet Corn Soup with Roasted Corn and Tomato Relish is a summery bowl of delicious sunshine no matter what time of year you make it!
There's still a few more days left, and sweet corn just screams summer, SUMMER!!!!! I mean, don't get me wrong, you can totally love on this soup in the fall or winter too (I won't stop you!) but if you do, it will be because you want a big bowl of summery sunshine. Creamy Sweet Corn Soup brings forth visions of evening cocktails on the patio, watching fireflies dance in the warm breeze, and the delightful squeals of children up past bedtime enjoying just a few extra moments of late summer light.
I had grand visions of making a fancy fire roasted corn and tomato bisque, but as it turns out, I live in Florida and if there's anything predictable about the weather, it's that the weather is entirely unpredictable. So, after a week of rain keeping me from the grill, I decided to take a different route. Which, let's be honest, is probably better since I'm not really sure what makes a bisque. This soup is unbelievably simple, but still rich with flavor, and the Corn and Tomato Relish is a fun little surprise on top!
Shop our Amazon affiliate links for items you can enjoy along with this delicious soup!
Creamy Sweet Corn Soup with Roasted Corn and Tomato Relish, Ingredients:
- 4 cups sweet corn kernels (I used canned)
- 1 tablespoon fat/oil (I used rendered bacon fat)
- 2/3 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken stock or broth (can sub vegetable stock)
- optional: 1/2 cup heavy cream (not added to the pictured recipe)
- Sweet corn kernels
- Tomato, diced
- Balsamic glaze
Creamy Sweet Corn Soup with Roasted Corn and Tomato Relish, Directions:
- In a large pot, heat fat/oil to medium low then add onions, garlic, and seasoned salt. Saute for 5 - 7 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in corn and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in stock and bring back to a simmer. Simmer gently for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or very very carefully with an upright blender), puree the soup until smooth.
- Optional: stir in up to 1/2 cup of heavy cream (do not bring to a boil if you add cream).
- Spread corn kernels and tomato over a baking sheet and place on the center rack of a 500 degree oven.
- Allow kernels to get a nice golden brown (5 - 10 minutes), but try to avoid charring (they will taste bitter)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 2 - 3 minutes, then drizzle with a small amount of balsamic glaze and toss/stir to coat evenly.
You may also enjoy:
This Creamy Sweet Corn Soup recipe was originally developed for Collective Bias. Mama Loves Food has been compensated for the associated time and work. All opinions and recipes are mine alone. #SwansonSummer #CollectiveBias. FIRST POSTED 07.27.15