Maple Nut Clusters recipe is simple and delicious. The perfect afternoon snack or easy to make teacher gift.
I don't know about you, but we're constantly on the lookout for wholesome snacks. Slowly (very slowly) we've been trying to wean the family off of processed food. I mean, let's be real. We still eat processed food - but the goal is to make it the exception rather than the rule. The snack cabinet has more nuts and dried fruits, the refrigerator has more meats and dairy products. We're far from perfect, but it's a journey!
This Maple Nut Clusters recipe is a really simple (and super delicious) option for those of you on a similar path. Or, if you love nuts! Serve it up with a big glass of cold milk and it's a wham, bam, combo of protein and healthy fats.
We homeschool our kids and the "school day" tends to wrap up around one in the afternoon. Which is also when the kids are ravenous. I find the combination of nuts and milk fills them up and makes it less likely that I'll hear the dreaded "Mommmmm, I'm hungry! When is dinnnnner?" We stick with regular white whole milk at breakfast and dinner, but occasionally do chocolate milk in the afternoon as a treat.
I love that this recipe is sweetened only with pure maple syrup and contains no refined sugars. I also love that it's ridiculously easy to make and tastes incredible. Not only is it a great afternoon snack, but it would be the perfect holiday or teacher gift!
I used walnuts, cashews, and almonds, but you can use whatever nuts you like best. It's also fun to toss in some dried fruit or dark chocolate at the end when you package it up. Especially if giving as a gift! The recipe is so versatile - it's no big deal to swap out any of the ingredients! Well, except the maple syrup. That one's pretty important!
You could serve it directly off the stove top, but I like to pop mine in the oven at a low heat for fifteen or twenty minutes to dry them out completely. When they're done, you want them to be dry to the touch and not sticky at all. Package them in an air tight container like tupperware or mason jars and they will keep for a long time. Okay, only so long as you don't tell anyone where they are - these babies are addicting.
My kids are milk fanatics and we love DairyPure brand milk as a nutritious addition to our daily routine. DairyPure brand milk and TruMoo both contain no artificial growth hormones* and come from your local dairy. DairyPure brand milk is the only brand of milk backed by the exclusive 5-Point Purity Promise. DairyPure contains no artificial growth hormones*, and all milk is tested for antibiotics.
TruMoo Chocolate Whole Milk is an awesome treat that I can feel good about because TruMoo has NO artificial growth hormones*, and NO high fructose corn syrup.
Maple Nut Clusters, Ingredients:
- 1 cup each: cashews, unshelled walnuts, raw almonds
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- salt, to taste
- optional ingredients: dried fruit, dark chocolate bits
Maple Nut Clusters, Directions:
- Rough chop the cashews, walnuts and almonds, then toss into a pan over medium low heat. Add maple syrup and stir well.
- Bring syrup to a light simmer, then turn heat down to low.
- Stir periodically, until syrup has thickened and there is very little left on the bottom of the pan when you stir the nuts.
- Pour in sesame seeds and coconut flakes, stir well to combine.
- Spread nut mixture onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet, pressing flat to make a thin layer.
- Optional: Bake at 250 F for 15 - 20 minutes, until nut mixture is dry and no longer sticky to the touch.
- Dust with salt and allow to cool completely.
The Five-Point Purity Promise:
- No Artificial Growth Hormones*
- All milk is tested for antibiotics
- Continually quality tested to ensure purity
- From cows fed a healthy diet
- Cold shipped fresh from your local dairy
Looking for more tasty snacks that pair great with a glass of milk? Check out these:
- Peanut Butter and Granola 'Candy' Apples
- Cashew Fruit Bites
- Coconut Maple Peanut Butter Dip
- Ham and Cheese Crescent Rolls
- Roasted Plantains
- Fruit and Granola Trail Mix
Connect with DairyPure and TruMoo on social media!
- TruMoo on Twitter
- TruMoo on Facebook
- DairyPure on Facebook
- TruMoo on Pinterest
- DairyPure on Pinterest
*No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from cows treated with the artificial growth hormone rbST and non-rbST-treated cows.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.