Tuna Salad Stuffed Tomatoes are the perfect delicious and healthy recipe for those dog days of summer! This recipe is partnered with Safeway however all recipes and opinions are my own.
Hello there from the sunny state of Florida! And by sunny, I mean holy heck it feels like we're sitting on the surface of the sun! Good gravy, our heat index has been well over 100 degrees all month with the humidity in excess of 40%. Do you know what that feels like? It feels like melting onto the couch in the air conditioning with the ceiling fan blasting at full force and never wanting to move again. Even the pool water is hot! Uhg.
What it doesn't feel like, is me wanting to turn on the oven or leave the house to go shopping. Nope, nerp, nada. Not even a little bit. It's cool salads, iced tea, and grocery delivery. That's the month of July in Florida.
A few years ago, the market near my parents' house started offering grocery delivery. I was sooooooo (so, so, so) jealous. My mom thought it was fun to brag about how she just had to log onto her online account, stroll a few virtual aisle and *voila* a few hours later her refrigerator was full of food. Meanwhile, I was schlepping five babies to the market in billion degree heat. Not so funny mom! Hah. (Okay, maybe a little).
So, you can imagine my pleasure when we discovered last week that our new local Safeway delivers groceries to your door. Say whaaaaaa?! Oh, yes. And you'd better believe that I hopped right on and started shopping.
I wanted to give the service a good test run (hey! delivery is free on your first order!) so I chose from a variety of departments, including the deli and produce. I wanted to see if the shoppers would bring cold milk, thinly sliced deli meat, and perfectly ripe fruits and vegetables. P.S., spoiler alert - they did!
My tomatoes were drool worthy, and all brands and sizes were spot on. Also, I signed up for the gas rewards, and shopping rewards program so not only did I save gas and time (and heat stroke) by not going out, but I accumulated additional savings through the rewards program. Uh, heck yes!
I knew as soon as I saw these delicious groceries, I had to put together a salad. The tomatoes were just too pretty to slice up, so I grabbed some tuna fish, seasonings, and got to stuffing. I love tuna salad stuffed tomatoes in the summer because they're filling and tasty while still being cool and refreshing. Bonus points for not having to turn on the oven or stove-top. Whoop, whoop!
Tuna Salad Stuffed Tomatoes, Ingredients:
- Large ripe tomatoes, 1 per serving
- Canned tuna fish, drained, about 1/2 cup per serving
- Dill relish, about 1 tablespoon per serving
- Garlic salt, about 1/2 teaspoon per serving
- Mayonnaise, to taste
Tuna Salad Stuffed Tomatoes, Directions:
- Using a knife and spoon, carefully scoop out the tomato insides (I like to save mine to use in soups or salsa).
- In a bowl, combine tuna fish, relish, garlic salt, and mayonnaise (start with a small amount of mayo and work your way up to desired consistency).
- Fill hollowed tomato with tuna salad and garnish with extra relish, parsley, green onion, or your fork!
- New customers get FREE delivery on their first order. You may also qualify for FREE or discounted delivery fees on subsequent orders.
- Safeway’s grocery delivery program offers one-hour delivery windows and a “Shop By History” feature that saves all previously purchased items for easy repeat purchasing.
- Trucks are equipped with both refrigerated and frozen compartments, so frozen items stay frozen and refrigerated items are cool when delivered.
I also loved that there are "green" options with larger time windows so the trucks can coordinate a more eco-friendly driving path and you get a discount on grocery delivery!
We also made sure to go in and visit the store itself. The aisles were wide, the selection was outstanding and there was even a Starbucks in the market. (Starbucks!!!) They also have those ridiculously cute kid size buggies that my daughter loves and cup holders in the adult buggies for that giant latte you know you want. Probably my favorite part was the Delallo olive bar. Looooove Delallo olives! Oh, also! They stock squid in their freezer! Which I can never find! Whoop whoop!
More about the new stores:
- Safeway is excited to provide the local community an unmatched experience in our new stores including savings programs, grocery delivery and many other new offerings.
- Some of the key highlights of the stores include an expanded natural and organic section, over 30 fresh juices pressed and packaged on-site daily, local products from partners such as Mike’s Pies, a deli with a quick bake, artisan Pizza Bar and expanded multicultural hot food selections.
Gas Rewards at Safeway:
- Earn gas rewards every time you shop at your local Safeway store
- Redeem up to $.20 / gallon in Gas Rewards at participating Chevron stations
- Enroll today at Safeway.com or download the Safeway app
- With the openings of these new stores, Just for U is now available through the Safeway app for Safeway shoppers in this area, expanding their savings opportunity even more.
- Shoppers have the chance to find over $300 in weekly savings with digital coupons and personalized deals that are available through the just for U savings tool available through the Safeway app and Safeway.com.
- Offers are based on the app users’ purchase history and organized in a digestible way that works for shoppers, so they can save more on what they actually buy and use.
- The Safeway app is available as an app on iOS and/or Android devices; the just for U savings tool provides savings tailored to what shoppers actually buy and use.
- Shoppers don’t need to present a card, sort through ads and flyers, or clip coupons.
- Shoppers have access to hundreds of offers.
Other recipes you might enjoy!