This Cabbage Curry will make you so happy!
We make our cabbage curry with long thin strips of cabbage “noodles”. Cabbage noodles are not noodles. Duh. How can you even consider replacing noodles with cabbage??? I mean if you want alternative noodles, why not just use zucchini?! At least those are noodleISH.
Yeh, that’s what I thought the first time I saw a recipe suggesting that the “bulk” of noodles be replaced with cabbage. I mean, I love cabbage – don’t get me wrong. But cabbage isn’t noodles. Right? Well, sort of.
Cabbage Curry Ingredients
How do you Make Cabbage Curry
- First, combine coconut milk, tomatoes, chicken stock, and curry in a sauce pan and bring it to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add cabbage and cook on medium/low heat until cabbage reaches your desired texture.
- Finally, stir in your protein and allow to heat through.
Why should you use Cabbage in Curry
I pushed really hard against the idea of using cabbage as a substitute for noodles, until last night. When I wanted something quick and had zero interest in pulling out the spiralizer to make zucchini noodles. And low and behold when I opened the icebox, what was sitting there staring me down but a big ole head of cabbage.
It was practically a dare.Lemme tell you folks. Cabbage noodles are not noodles. Here’s the thing though – I LIKED THEM BETTER THAN NOODLES!!! I kid you not. I ate two heaping helpings.
They were bulky and grabbed up the sauce like noodles, but they have so much more flavor! And that teensy bit of cabbagey crunch? YUM. Serious, yum.This happy accident is joining the regular rotation for sure. And maybe next time I’ll make enough to share.
How to make Cabbage Curry
- 1 can coconut milk 15 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 ounces (drained)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock*
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 cups thin sliced cabbage strips to resemble noodles as best you can
- optional: Your choice of pre-cooked protein. I added some leftover steak cut into thin strips.
- Combine coconut milk, tomatoes, chicken stock, and curry in a sauce pan and bring it to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage and cook on medium/low heat until cabbage reaches your desired texture.
- Optional, stir in your protein and allow to heat through.