Egg Roll in a Bowl is so good, my kids hide the leftovers from me so they can have it all! Next time I’m making a double batch!
Egg Roll in a bowl is a simple recipe perfect for easy weeknight meals. Loaded with protein, veggies, and tons of flavor – it is a sure hit with the entire family.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
Egg Roll in a Bowl Ingredients
- Ground pork – you can also use ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey.
- Minced garlic – You can use fresh garlic or pre-minced from the fridge.
- Grated ginger – I like to keep a tube of grated ginger in my refrigerator. So convenient!
- Soy sauce – Super delicious!
- Finely shredded cabbage – If you want a more veggie heavy end result, you can as much as double the amount of cabbage called for in this recipe.
- Julienned carrots – I usually cheat and grab a bag of matchstick carrots from the market.
- Chopped green onion – Pro tip: buy your green onions with the roots on, then stick them in a glass of water near sunlight. They will regrow over and over again!
Topping and garnish ideas
Our deconstructed egg roll is delicious on its own, but who doesn’t love a little extra? Try yours with sweet chili sauce, sesame seeds, and a drizzle of sesame oil.
How Do You Make an Egg Roll In a Bowl?
⭐ First, in a large skillet, brown the ground pork, breaking it up into crumbles as it cooks. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté until fragrant.
⭐ Next, add the soy sauce, then cabbage, and carrots.
⭐ Then, cook, stirring frequently until cabbage is tender. Mix in green onions.
⭐ Finally, serve alongside sweet chili sauce, sesame seeds, and sesame oil for optional garnishes.
What type of meat goes in an egg roll bowl?
Our recipe calls for ground pork, but you can also use ground beef, chicken, or turkey. I love to use a mild ground pork breakfast sausage for even more flavor.
Can I use more vegetables?
You can add as much as double the cabbage and carrots to this recipe and it will be delicious. Just make sure you’re using a big enough pan!
Can it be made ahead of time?
You can make your skillet egg rolls up to a couple days in advance and store them in the refrigerator. This is a great meal prep dish because it reheats perfectly in the microwave.
If you want to make it more than two or three days in advance, you’ll want to freeze the dish.
Storage and Leftovers
How long does it last?
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about three days. Make sure they are stored in a sealed container. In the freezer, this dish will last at least 3 months before beginning to lose flavor and decrease in quality.
How do you reheat an egg roll in a bowl?
The easiest way to reheat your leftovers is in the microwave. Put them in a microwave safe dish and cook on high power in 90 second increments, stirring in between to ensure even heating.
Reheating can also be done in a toaster oven or conventional oven.
Can you freeze egg roll in a bowl?
Yes, to freeze this dish, allow it to cool to room temperature then place it in a freezer safe container and label with the date and recipe name. It can be frozen as long as three months before losing flavor or quality when maintained at a constant temperature below freezing.
Is an egg roll in a bowl keto?
This recipe is keto friendly. The keto (or ketogenic) diet is a high-fat, moderate-protein, and low-carb eating approach to eating. This dish satisfies those requirements.
What to eat with egg roll in a bowl (serving suggestions)
More Delicious Asian Inspired Recipes
- Noodle Vegetable Stir Fry
- Easy Chow Mein Soup
- Peanut Butter Chicken Thighs
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- Check out all our easy Asian recipes!
More Cabbage Recipes to Love!
- Stuffed Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Baked Cabbage Steaks
- Cabbage Beef Soup
- Coleslaw with Malt Vinegar
- We love recipes made with cabbage!
- Large skillet – I like to use a big cast iron pan. You want to make sure you have enough room to move the ingredients around in the skillet.
- Wooden spatula – The wooden spatula is great for scraping the browned meat on the bottom of your pan without causing damage.
- Measuring spoons and cups – To make sure all your amounts are correct!
Get our FREE Easy Casseroles Ebook!
Follow us below!Use #mamalovesfood on Instagram!
How to Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground pork you can also use ground beef ground chicken, or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic about 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 14 - 16 ounces finely shredded cabbage about 6 cups
- 1 cup matchstick/julienned carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped green onion plus extra for garnish
- Optional toppings sweet chili sauce sesame seeds, sesame oil
- In a large skillet, brown the ground pork, breaking it up into crumbles as it cooks. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the soy sauce, then cabbage, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently until cabbage is tender. Mix in green onions.
- Serve alongside sweet chili sauce, sesame seeds, and sesame oil for optional garnishes.
This post was originally sponsored by MAGGI®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.