Our easy Chocolate Cream Cheese Pastry Braid Recipe is just what you need to transport you away to France for a few blissful minutes!
This Chocolate Cream Cheese Pastry Braid recipe is my homage to France. About a billion and four years ago (okay, like twenty), I visited Paris with my parents. Well, my whole family. Anyway, one of the things I remember was how chocolate, and cheese, and pastries were every where.
Also, how delicious everything was. Probably because chocolate, and cheese, and pastries. Yum.
This really simple and super delicious Chocolate Cream Cheese Pastry Braid recipe is inspired by that long ago brief visit to France, as well as my desire as a mom now to have a little me moment during the day with my pastry and some hot coffee.
If I’ve learned anything as a mom (wife, employee, person who lives on planet earth), it’s that sometimes you need to step away and have a moment just for yourself.
It’s okay to hide your favorite food in the back of the refrigerator so you can enjoy it after the kids go to bed. It’s okay to take an extra ten minutes in the bubble bath and just breath (or binge watch Netflix), and it’s okay to want a flaky, cheesy, chocolatey pastry all to yourself.
Frozen puff pastry works perfectly in this recipe as an easy dough solution. Roll it out thin and pile the ingredients on. Make it for you (yasssss), or invite your girlfriends over to enjoy a little adult conversation.
I never realize how badly I miss adult conversation until I finally get some. Then I’m all moarrrrr. Give me all the moms!!!
The extra chocolate drizzled on top might be overkill. But I’m going to argue that it’s gorgeous and you shouldn’t skip it.
Also, chocolate. Mmmmmm.
Want to make it even fancier? Sprinkle some course ground sugar over the top. I didn’t do that, but if you’re making this for a crowd and want to be super impressive – go for it!
One of my favorite ways to have a little me time, is to grab a snack and sneak out to the hammock in our backyard when my husband gets home. It’s a bit out of the way, so the kids don’t think to look for me there.
Sometimes I can even snooze for a few minutes after enjoying the blissfulness of eating alone. (Can I get a high five for eating alone?)
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pastry Braid Recipe, Ingredients:
- puff pastry (you can find this in the freezer section)
- cream cheese icing (here’s my easy recipe for cream cheese icing)
- 3/4 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips (divided into 1/2 and 1/4)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pastry Braid Recipe, Directions:
- Thaw pastry dough according to package, then roll puff pastry into a rectangle (9x12ish).
- Cut strips on either side, then spread cream cheese frosting down the middle.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup chocolate chips, then braid puff pastry over filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water together. Brush over pastry braid.
- Bake at 400 for about 30 – 35 min, until golden brown.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips, drizzle over pastry and enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: